Author Topic: What is the "birthday" of your Buick(s)?  (Read 294 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
What is the "birthday" of your Buick(s)?
« on: May 02, 2019, 03:43:41 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick owners who's cars are members of the family,

A long time ago, I gleaned off of Biquette's builders plate that she was built the first week of May 1965.  Nowadays, you can go to a website like Time And Date.com to get a calendar for any year.  For example this link will bring up a calendar for 1965:

https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=1965

From that you can see that Biquette's birthday is somewhere between May 3 and 7.  She will be 54 this year.

Can somebody explain how to get the week of manufacture from the builder's plate?  Once that's procedure is explained, how about everybody posting the range of dates for the  birthday of your Buick(s)!  :occasion13:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: What is the "birthday" of your Buick(s)?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 05:36:18 PM »
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Bertha's B day was . . . (Re: "birthday" of your Buick(s)? )
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 01:28:02 PM »
Dear Bill and mid-60s owners of Buicks who are members of the family,

Hmmm. Berthas' B Day was in April of '64... just like gram! Came and went LOL.   Bill

Indeed!  As I read Bertha's plate that's the 3rd week of April 1964.  A quick check of a 1964 calendar suggests that would be between April 13 and 17.  I'm not sure how GM handled partial weeks.

P.S. I found this Chevelle website to be the easiest to follow when trying to to decode the cowl plate:

https://www.chevellestuff.net/1965/tags.htm
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 01:44:08 PM by elagache »

Offline wildcat65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 07:58:31 AM »
I have not paid attention to those born on dates, but when looking at the IBM card for my '70 Stage 1 I discovered it was born on my birthday, 12/2/1969!
Now that is amazing.  I've had the car since 1998 and just noticed it a couple years ago.
Ted Nagel         65 Skylark GS 4-speed + Wildcats + GS's

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 09:27:44 AM »
My 1965 Special convertible rolled down the Kansas City production line on the first day of April 1965. It was delivered to Barbara X. XXX nine days later at Russ Buick, 722 2nd Ave N Fargo North Dakota. 
About 203 inches and 3200 pounds.
From the time of its birth it has received one major heart transplant now controlled by a pacemaker of sorts.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks for sharing! (Re: What is the "birthday" of your Buick(s)? )
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 01:27:19 PM »
Dear Ted, Kevin, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Thanks for sharing!  :hello2:

I have not paid attention to those born on dates, but when looking at the IBM card for my '70 Stage 1 I discovered it was born on my birthday, 12/2/1969!
Now that is amazing.  I've had the car since 1998 and just noticed it a couple years ago.

Obviously that car was made for you!  :sunny:

My 1965 Special convertible rolled down the Kansas City production line on the first day of April 1965. It was delivered to Barbara X. XXX nine days later at Russ Buick, 722 2nd Ave N Fargo North Dakota. 
About 203 inches and 3200 pounds.
From the time of its birth it has received one major heart transplant now controlled by a pacemaker of sorts.

Nice to know all that history about your car!  :hello2: