Author Topic: Straighten out a rocker panel  (Read 246 times)

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
Straighten out a rocker panel
« on: February 27, 2019, 11:18:44 AM »
Need some hints on  pulling out a rocket on my convertible! The driver door
Got banged in and pushed the rocker in about 1/2 to 3/4 ! I see no damage to cowl ! I have access to the rear of the rocker as the floor is out! I have a door on the car that is good and clean , fits but doesn't close all the way! I could weld a piece of angle iron to the outside for a good pull! My biggest concern is
that I don't tweak the body shell! I can and will brace it but still scary situation!
You can see a little bit in the photo where the top of the rocker sticks out at the bottom of the door and door doesn't close all the way! Thanks for any help , advice etc..!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 11:20:45 AM by gssizzler »

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Straighten out a rocker panel
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 04:04:35 PM »
Jon, is the issue at the back of the door / rocker area ?
Since there is no floor in it, maybe using a porta-power to push it from the back side.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 08:11:42 AM »
It is pushed in mainly in the front! If you go from the middle of the door it tapers in from that point, with the front of the rocker being the worst! A porta power is a good option if I can get it up against something solid!

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 08:54:04 AM »
Just got my new Assembly Book. Want me to copy some pages for replacement of the rocker panel? Probably a few dozen spot welds to drill out. Then it will be in yer hands to massage and make perfect. Let me know!  Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 09:58:44 AM »
Find someone with a stud welder and heat up the deepest part of the dent with a propane torch and slowly work it out. It is time consuming,but easier than cutting into it and having to finish off new welds.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Magna-Spot-stud-welder-Kit-Motorguard-J01000/132106648179?epid=655491759&hash=item1ec22b7a73:g:e~EAAOSw~bFWJ5lZ

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 08:43:10 PM »
Hey guys Thanks for the advice! My body work experience is so limited! Now if   I can get my cars out of the frozen ice and snow inside the garage I'm paying rent on :angryfire:I swear I'm going to turn on the small kerosene heater full blast shut the door and kill every living thing in it!

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 02:07:02 PM »
   I agree with Schlepcar. Try to find someone with a stud welder, that would be the best, Or If you can find someone with a Mig welder try this..I ran across a similar problem with a 64 Riv years ago. I used my Mig welder and welded some scrap 1/8 inch rod together to form a T, I made 4 or 5 T's and welded them along the area and heated the area with some Propane gas and very slowly worked out the damage by pulling the rods.   I had a pair of welding gloves on as those T rods were getting HOT. Once the damage area was pulled out enough I cut off the T rods, ground down the high spots and board sanded the area with 80 grit paper then added a skim coat of body filler to hide any imperfections. Then finish off with 150 then 220 paper then give it several light coats of primer.  This work is very time consuming, so plan a full day to do the work. Keep the work area clear of anything not related to what you are doing and make sure any combustibles are away or outside of the garage. Working safe is a priority #1  :thumbsup:
    DO NOT use MAAP or Oxyacetylene gas as they are too hot and will burn thru the metal and cause major damage.

Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 04:07:42 PM »
Since there is no floor in it, maybe using a porta-power to push it from the back side.

Loren

That's what I would recommend. Put the hyd cylinder on the opposite frame rail and push against the rocker.
I've tried using a stud welder and pulling a bend out, but rockers are rather thick and tough to move.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal