Author Topic: Owned one back in the late 80s, starting to get serious about another one  (Read 1486 times)

Offline stiles_s

• Buick Fan
My first two cars were a 1965 Special that I bought from my uncle for $360 and towed up the hill with the engine torn apart in the trunk. After a year I found its twin in GS form sitting on the street in town. I left notes and generally harassed the owners until they sold it to me. Restored it to this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1H1HnybeFTY25P466
Anyone know the name of the color?

Sold it to buy something more reliable for college. Went back to old buicks for a bit (67 gs400 and 67 Riv) but then got into a long string of imported stuff.

Would love to get back into one. A #1 or #2 hardtop or convertible. A 4speed would be icing on the cake but likely impossible to find.

Regardless, just wanted to say "hi" and share a few pics. Been lurking here over the past couple years. Recently getting a bit more serious.

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Owned one back in the late 80s, starting to get serious about another one
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 10:22:15 PM »
Welcome! Where are you located? Nice looking car!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 10:32:19 PM by GS66 »
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline stiles_s

• Buick Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 10:35:08 PM »
Welcome! Where are you located? Nice looking car!

Ah, updated profile. Seattle, WA area. Grew up in Bremerton, which was a bit of a hotbed of GS activity back in the day :)

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 10:45:25 PM »
Seems like a lot of Gran Sports were in WA. My 65 came originally from Becker Buick in Spokane. There?s a low milage white 65 GS on eBay now and a thread about it on here.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 02:34:03 AM »
Color appears to my eyes to be Turquoise.

Welcome to the site.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Welcome! (Re: Owned one back in the late 80s)
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 03:29:25 PM »
Dear stiles_s, Jim, Dan, and 65GS.com welcome wagon!

Regardless, just wanted to say "hi" and share a few pics. Been lurking here over the past couple years. Recently getting a bit more serious.

Well by all means welcome to 65GS.com! 

My first two cars were a 1965 Special that I bought from my uncle for $360 and towed up the hill with the engine torn apart in the trunk. After a year I found its twin in GS form sitting on the street in town. I left notes and generally harassed the owners until they sold it to me. Restored it to this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1H1HnybeFTY25P466

Sold it to buy something more reliable for college. Went back to old buicks for a bit (67 gs400 and 67 Riv) but then got into a long string of imported stuff.

Would love to get back into one. A #1 or #2 hardtop or convertible. A 4speed would be icing on the cake but likely impossible to find.

You had a beautiful car!  Lucky me I used public transportation for college and employment, so I was able to hang on to my 1965 Special!

Since you have dabbled in other Buicks, you probably have a reasonable idea of how difficult these cars are to find.  On the other hand, there is a reward for being patient and attentive.  Even the 1965 Gran Sport 4-speeds do come up for sale from time to time.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

P.S. If you feel cozy with the idea, don't hesitate to sign with your first name - we are a friendly bunch!  :hello2:

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 04:03:37 PM by elagache »

Offline stiles_s

• Buick Fan
Re: Welcome! (Re: Owned one back in the late 80s)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 04:19:01 PM »
Dear stiles_s, Jim, Dan, and 65GS.com welcome wagon!

Well by all means welcome to 65GS.com! 

You had a beautiful car!  Lucky me I used public transportation for college and employment, so I was able to hang on to my 1965 Special!

Since you have dabbled in other Buicks, you probably have a reasonable idea of how difficult these cars are to find.  On the other hand, there is a reward for being patient and attentive.  Even the 1965 Gran Sport 4-speeds do come up for sale from time to time.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

P.S. If you feel cozy with the idea, don't hesitate to sign with your first name - we are a friendly bunch!  :hello2:

Thanks for the kind welcome folks. Will get the sig set up later and be lurking in hopes of finding a great car and learning abut the hobby.

Scott.

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 05:50:18 PM »
Welcome from NW Ohio..
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 09:49:43 PM »
Welcome stiles_s to the site . Always nice to have more Buick guys to talk with . Hopefully a car will pop up that you will like .
Again WELCOME
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 06:55:05 AM »
Welcome from SW Michigan.  My restoration (in progress) was originally sold and spent most of it's life in Washington.  And its first restoration was done there.  So I agree, a hotbed of sorts!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline 66nailhead

• Crazy about Buick!
Hi. Nice pics of your 65gs. That’s crazy you grew up in Bremerton. Small world. My family and I all from Bremerton. Back in the 80’s my dad had a black 66gs post car and burgundy 65gs convert. He still has the convert. In 90’s I drove my blue 66gs everyday to high school. I still have that car to. And my brother has a 65gs 3speed stick car that was a local Bremerton car to. Definitely small world.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 11:15:52 AM by 66nailhead »
Dan Harper

66 buick gs hardtop.  401/st400
66 buick gs convertible. 401/st300. Original Verde green with 70,000 miles
66 buick special 2dr post. 340/st400.
66 buick special wagon

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Looks like a similar GS in this months Bugle page 15. Is the owner a member here?
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline stiles_s

• Buick Fan
I don't even know what the bugle is 😁

Can someone post info?

66nailhead, sounds like we were running around at similar times. I graduated bhs in 85 and had my gs for the last few years of hs and first few of college. I knew the baker family who had a few gs' as well.

Offline 66nailhead

• Crazy about Buick!
That’s awesome. Sounds like we know all the same people probably to. In fact my brothers car is bob bakers old car. Still has the shaved door handles and the paint that the sangers put on it back in the 80’s.
Dan Harper

66 buick gs hardtop.  401/st400
66 buick gs convertible. 401/st300. Original Verde green with 70,000 miles
66 buick special 2dr post. 340/st400.
66 buick special wagon

Offline stiles_s

• Buick Fan
Very small world :)

I loved Bob's car, and lusted after his Dad's which IIRC was a 67 GS400 4spd. That was my dream car. I think Carol Sue had a few as well.

I would really like to find a clean 65 4 speed, or a 67. I've owned both in automatic form and would really like to find an original 4spd car. Will need to be patient.