Author Topic: History's Modern Marvels - Muscle cars on YouTube  (Read 90 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
History's Modern Marvels - Muscle cars on YouTube
« on: February 23, 2019, 03:33:42 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick owners who occasionally get distracted by da' boob tube . . . . . .

The blog from Hemming's muscle cars quite excitedly announced that there was video on YouTube about the birth of muscle cars.  Here is the blog entry about it.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/02/21/watch-this-the-birth-of-muscle/

However, what the show turns out to be is an episode of the History Channel's venerable series on technology: Modern Marvels.  Here is a direct link to the video in case you want to "cut to da' chase!" . . .  :laughing7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaGPPZ9MpWY

I couldn't spot the copyright information but from the contents it is made shortly after 2003.  It isn't a particularly technical presentation and very strongly Pontiac-biased.  The only reference to Buick was basically an insult!   :violent1:  However, there are some interesting points about the marketing of muscle cars that I wasn't aware of.  Also the interviews of John DeLoren are interesting even if they definitely don't present the fellow in a flattering light.

Since this is a old TV show, you might enjoy it the best if you can play the video on a real TV with an easy chair.  At ~45 minutes, it might be a long time to sit in front of your digital device.  On the other-hand, if that is the best choice you have available, that will make skipping the boring parts that much more desirable!  :evil6:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

P.S. I'm not sure what is the copyright status of this video.  From the History Channel to Discovery Communications, to YouTube!?!?!  :icon_scratch:  If you want to see it, you might want to do this swiftly before the lawyers change their mind!  :laughing7: