Author Topic: Ruthy in the rain..  (Read 92 times)

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
Ruthy in the rain..
« on: February 04, 2019, 06:51:27 PM »
Amazingly, California has seen a little rain as of late. I failed to get photos of Ruthy in the fall, in the midst of cooling system overhaul. Then, I ran into ignition problems. Both have been fixed.
By the way, the cooling system fix was interesting. I found little tablets made by AC that are composed of turmeric, among other things. One adds them to a cryptic radiator, and it plugs all the little holes. Success! Apparently GM uses the things..

I used Blue Streak products from Standard for my tune-up. I was happy with them and the Ruthy now runs soooo much better! :thumbsup:

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Nice to see Ruthy again! (Re: Ruthy in the rain..)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 07:07:18 PM »
Dear Iain and California mid-60s Buick owners,

Amazingly, California has seen a little rain as of late.

Uh up here in da' North it has been a wee bit more than "a little rain."  Since the 1st we have gotten over 1-3/4" of rain   That's about 1/3 of the rain we get during the entire month of February!

I failed to get photos of Ruthy in the fall, in the midst of cooling system overhaul. Then, I ran into ignition problems. Both have been fixed.
By the way, the cooling system fix was interesting. I found little tablets made by AC that are composed of turmeric, among other things. One adds them to a cryptic radiator, and it plugs all the little holes. Success! Apparently GM uses the things..

I used Blue Streak products from Standard for my tune-up. I was happy with them and the Ruthy now runs soooo much better! :thumbsup:

Glad to hear that you got Ruthy running a lot better!  Yes I have heard about the GM tablets.  Some engine builders add them to every build.  I prefer only to use them if the need arises.  Does Ruthy still have mechanical ignition or did you upgrade to an electronic type?

Thanks for the pictures!   :hello2:  The photo next to barn could have been taken back in the day.  Alas Ruthy's wheels gives her youthful remake away!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Ruthy in the rain..
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 11:04:08 AM »
Ok... it has been more than a little rain...for the area.

Yes, I upgraded to HEI a few years ago. Basic Accel. Though it does have a Standard module in it now. Glad I did too. There was an original pertronix unit in place, and it was really old. I have one cylinder with about 50% of normal compression, but otherwise it runs really well.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Expecting a break in the rain. (Re: Ruthy in the rain..)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 11:22:22 AM »
Dear Iain and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Ok... it has been more than a little rain...for the area.

According to the forecast we are expecting a few days of dry weather before the rains return.  I don't if it will dry out enough for me to get Biquette out for some exercise though.

Yes, I upgraded to HEI a few years ago. Basic Accel. Though it does have a Standard module in it now. Glad I did too. There was an original pertronix unit in place, and it was really old. I have one cylinder with about 50% of normal compression, but otherwise it runs really well.

Okay, so you have saved yourself the periodic tune up hassles.  That sure was a chore back in the old days.  As long as the engine runs reasonably well, you have time to ponder what you might do in the future.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14: