Author Topic: 1966 Special.  (Read 1397 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Good to see progress but pace yourself! (Re: 1966 Special.)
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2019, 02:19:40 PM »
Dear Bob and mid-60s Buick restorers,

I gave up on the 66 post car pictured in the previous above. the guy was totally inflexible on his price and it had a lot of damage.

Bummer dude but that's the way the ball bounces sometimes.

I got motivated yesterday and went out and tore into the GS parts car. pictures reflect aprox 2 hours time with hand tools and a dewalt cordless impact drill and I am a bit sore today.  . . . .

That's definitely progress, but pace yourself!  Car restoration doesn't have to be a high-impact sport!

Thanks for the progress report!  :thumbsup:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline GranSportSedan

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Good to see progress but pace yourself! (Re: 1966 Special.)
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2019, 02:26:41 PM »
Dear Bob and mid-60s Buick restorers,

That's definitely progress, but pace yourself!  Car restoration doesn't have to be a high-impact sport!

Thanks for the progress report!  :thumbsup:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

I think removing the hood myself was what made me sore.    i'm not in my 40's anymore  :overthetop:
Bob
1966 Special Deluxe
1941 Buick Sedanette
2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • BUICK. Where the rubber meets the road...
Re: 1966 Special.
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2019, 04:44:40 PM »
Tell me about it. Back when I was young, I pulled and installed the hood on several cars by myself.
I did (and still do) almost everything by myself, just the way things were/are.

Used to put a 4 speed on my chest, "ooch" under the car (in the Florida sand) lift, stab and bolt the thing in about a minute, now I need a jack and I still recite the all the words that remind me of the taste soap, and wrassle for nearly 30 minutes to get the sucker in place.

Pulled the hood myself, but after, I realized I would never be able to lift it and set it place by myself. (and then after getting it back on with help, I thought about it and realized I could have made some cribbing and set it on that, then attached the hinge bolts, and opened and adjusted it.)

But almost everything seems to take an awful lot longer...

Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2019, 04:58:01 PM »
Rolling that jack in the sand has to really suck too hahaha. Kripes, to be 40 again!  It aint the hood, its that damned piece of glass behind it.  :evil6: :laughing7:   Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2019, 05:05:19 PM »
All us old Buick guys should buy a compound to live in and help each other. Warm in the winter and cool in the summer. No local ordinances, and no judges!  ws
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !