Author Topic: Highest quality reproduction of disc brake pedal pad?  (Read 370 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Highest quality reproduction of disc brake pedal pad?
« on: November 15, 2018, 04:07:32 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick parts hounds,

Orinda Classic Car did upgrade my trusty wagon to 4-wheel disc brakes, but they broke the brake pedal pad in the process:

This one is the OPGI reproduction:

https://www.opgi.com/skylark/ADPP750/

The OPGI pads are known to be cast in softer rubber than the original Buick parts.  Even so, I suspect that Greg and the gang were stomping on the pedal unnecessarily hard.

I remembered that Fusick stocks a much more prototypical accelerator pedal.  They do have brake pedal pad, but not with the disc brake emblem.  Since Biquette now has 4-wheel disc brakes, I would really like to keep that emblem.

CARS has another reproduction:

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=8909

Does anybody know if the CARS pedal is made of tougher rubber than the OPGI?  Is there any other place that you can get this pedal that I should be considering?

Thanks in advance!  :thumbsup:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline BuickGS65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 1965 Buick Enthusiast
    • REPRODUCTION LENSES & GASKETS
Re: Highest quality reproduction of disc brake pedal pad?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 06:08:10 PM »
I would see if you can locate a 69-72 "Disc Brake BUICK" pedal & trim.

Duane used to (?) make them. I have them on my cars with disc brakes. Here's a thread for more info: https://www.v8buick.com/index.php?threads/69-72-automatic-disc-brake-pedal-pads.267598/

Nice used one on ebay right now too: https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-1968-1969-1970-1971-1972-buick-skylark-gs-gsx-disc-brake-pedal-original/302954765904?hash=item468982de50:g:arMAAOSw~XZb6LxY:rk:21:pf:0

Dan
BuickGS65 at   gmail.com
1965 Buick Skylark Gran Sport ('66 Q-Jet, 2004r)
1965 Buick Skylark (300 4v, 2004r, family owned since '78)
1965 Buick Skylark (special order survivor)
REPRODUCTION '64 & '65 LENSES & GASKETS <-- click link</a

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks - path of least resistance? (Re: Reproduction of disc brake pedal pad?)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 04:10:03 PM »
Dear Dan and mid-60s Buick parts hounds,

I would see if you can locate a 69-72 "Disc Brake BUICK" pedal & trim.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I wasn't aware that Buick made these.

Duane used to (?) make them. I have them on my cars with disc brakes.

Alas the thread is over 5 years old and the person who was making them was clearly moving into retirement.  So that source isn't viable.  Even if it was, it was only the rubber casting.  I would still need to come up with the "Disc Brake BUICK" emblem.

Nice used one on ebay right now too: https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-1968-1969-1970-1971-1972-buick-skylark-gs-gsx-disc-brake-pedal-original/302954765904?hash=item468982de50:g:arMAAOSw~XZb6LxY:rk:21:pf:0

You are 100% correct!  It is a very nice used piece.  However, I could pick up almost 4 of the OPGI reproduction pedals for what is being asked for that pedal.  Since my wagon is very much a restro-mod and somebody with a really original car might need that pedal - I think I'll let someone else snag it.

I did some additional research.  What OPGI is selling is the Chevelle part.  You can find it at Eckler's:

https://www.ecklerschevelle.com/chevelle-brake-pedal-pad-for-cars-with-automatic-transmission-and-disc-brakes-1967-1972.html

or Year-One:

https://www.yearone.com/Product/1964-72-chevelle-monte-carlo-el-camino/ru525

and a bunch of other places as well.  Comparing the photos they all look very similar to one another.  Here is the OPGI listing again (as a Chevelle part)

https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/1967/interior-accessories/pedal-pads/ADPP750/

This part is designated as a "RestoPart" which appears to be how they indicate parts that they have manufactured (as opposed to selling something made by another manufacturer.)  So if i had to guess, no matter who you buy a reproduction from - you'll still end up buying the OPGI part.  Of course OPGI is out of stock on this item, while some of the other vendors don't indicate that they are out.

I kept Biquette's OEM brake pedal pad as a spare so I'll dig it up and put that back on for now.  The black Friday sales are now coming fast and feverish, so perhaps I can grab this item along with a few other "toys" and made something of the purchase!  :laughing7:

Thanks again!

Online TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • BUICK. Where the rubber meets the road...
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 07:10:53 PM »
Check with Cole (Mayes) and GSFred on V8Buick.

:)
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Should I believe my eyes!?!?? (Re: disc brake pedal pad?)
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 06:58:42 PM »
Dear Michael and mid-60s Buick "interior decorators," . . . . .

Sorry, this project got shoved on the back-burner as other problems hit me.  However, this afternoon I had a few minutes to surf eBay and look at what I found!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1977-Skylark-GS-Factory-Brake-Pedal-Pad-With-Disc-Brakes-Only-GM-1384111/332891247295

Sure looks to me like The Parts Place is reproducing the "Disc Brake BUICK" pedal!  Should I believe my eyes or is there a catch I'm missing?

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Bought one! (Re: disc brake pedal pad?)
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 04:27:24 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick "interior decorators,"

Sure looks to me like The Parts Place is reproducing the "Disc Brake BUICK" pedal!  Should I believe my eyes or is there a catch I'm missing?

Well, nobody came out screaming . . . . . "You'll be sorry!" . . .

So I decided to buy Biquette an early Christmas present and purchased one of these reproductions from The Parts Place.  Here is the link on their own website:

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/product/1971/1971-skylark-gs-regal-gn-br-factory-brake-pedal-pad-with-disc-brakes-only-gm-1384111/96993

I'll definitely report on how this reproduction turns out.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Photos of Part's Place pedal pad. (Re: disc brake pedal pad?)
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 06:45:59 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick "interior decorators,"

I last left this topic all the way back around Thanksgiving with the boastful claim that I had bought the Part's Place reproduction of the brake pedal pad with the Buick disc brake emblem.  I got perfectly reasonable service from the Part's Place and had the pedal before the end of November.  What I desperately lacked was - time!  Today circumstances basically forced me to get this pedal out and take a good look at it.  With my camera always handy, I took these photos which include the old OPGI pedal for comparison purposes.  Here is the front of both:

Thanks to the SmugMug hosting, you can click on the image for an enlargement.

If you look carefully, you can see that the Part's Place pedal pad is substantially thicker.  It is made of tougher rubber than the OPGI pad.  The Part Place pad feels much more like the OEM pad.  Here is a close up of the disc brake emblem:

It looks to have a similar metallic sheen to the OEM pad that was on eBay a few months back.  Finally here is the back of the two pedal pads:

Once more the additional thickness of the Part's Place pad is clear.  Also you can see that the Buick disc brake emblem is secured on 3 points instead of the 2 points for the OPGI pad.

I'm pleased with purchase and hope to install it over the weekend sometime.  Since this part really doesn't belong on a 1965 Buick, I prefer to use a reproduction.  That way I'm not depriving someone restoring a original Buick of an OEM part they really need.  In addition, every reproduction part you buy is encouragement for the manufacturers to continue to support Buick!

Thanks for your feedback on this item!   :thumbsup:

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 06:24:18 AM »
Keep your GM car all GM. After searching (in vain)  for a while, Hector from V8 (Carhex) grabbed one for me as an early Christmas present. (Thanks Hector). The fit? Perfect OEM replacement. Wearability? OEM pads last 200K, so it was a no brainer. Now if I could only find ONE clutch pedal pad in blue for the 64... Hmmm.   Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
But is it - blue? (Re: Disc brake pedal pad?)
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 01:53:23 PM »
Dear Bill and mid-60s Buick parts hounds,

Keep your GM car all GM. After searching (in vain)  for a while, Hector from V8 (Carhex) grabbed one for me as an early Christmas present. (Thanks Hector).
. . . . .

But, but, but . . . . . Did Hector find a blue brake pedal?  Pictures please!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 03:41:15 PM »
The blue brake pedal pad, gas pedal AND parking brake pad are like new on the 64; the clutch pedal deteriorated for some reason...  Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !