Author Topic: VETERAN’S DAY  (Read 114 times)

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
VETERAN’S DAY
« on: November 11, 2018, 09:46:50 AM »
Thanks to all those who served, or are serving, our country on this 100th anniversary of the end of WW1.

Dan
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 10:24:42 AM by dsags »
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: VETERAN’S DAY
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 09:58:58 AM »
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 02:32:36 PM »
Couldn,t agree more  !
Thanks to all those who have served .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 06:51:55 PM »
Amen!  Celebrating Armistice Day in 1918 and understanding the lives lost is a sobering experience.
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
In my thoughts all day long . . . (Re: VETERAN’S DAY)
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 09:52:47 PM »
Dear Dan, Jim, John, Chuck, and Buick owners who remember way back when, . . .

Thanks to all those who served, or are serving, our country on this 100th anniversary of the end of WW1.

Thanks for remembering.  It has been a long day - really a long week as I have been pondering this 100th anniversary.  Being a French American dual-ciitzen it is hard to escape the horrors from the French point of view.  As a young man, my Dad visited the memorials of Verdun.  Those stories got me to visit some of the same memorials in 1990.  I was especially moved by the Douaumont Ossuary:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douaumont_Ossuary

Underneath the building are the bones of many thousands of unknown soldiers and they can be seen as you approach the building.  According to the Wikipedia article there bones of at least 130,000 unidentified combatants of both nations under the building.  There are lessons in this building that we all need to take to heart, but I fear it is our leaders who most need to take in that sobering vision of what evil can really do on the earth.

Thanks again, it has been a long and difficult day . . . .

Edouard

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • 65GS.com Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 10:37:02 PM »
This is one retired U.S. military member that also served with the French in NATO.

And eve though we make light and sport of the French, I understand that America owes a eternal debt of gratitude to the French, who helped us in a last hour, and we returned in kind many years later.

“Only the dead have seen the end of war.”

(it matters not so much who said it first, only that the truth rings eternal...)

Thank you to those of my brothers and sisters in arms, and to those who recognise the service and live your lives in fullness of that which has been afforded you all.

g'nite.
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks Michael - very sad to be a "forgotten minority." (Re: VETERAN’S DAY)
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 11:17:54 AM »
Dear Michael and mid-60s Buick owners who see the values of the United States as the ultimate patriotism,

This is one retired U.S. military member that also served with the French in NATO.

And eve though we make light and sport of the French, I understand that America owes a eternal debt of gratitude to the French, who helped us in a last hour, and we returned in kind many years later.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this.  It is hard to overstate how difficult it has become to be French in the United States, only worse so in the realm of academia.  Academics are very proud of championing "diversity," but French are relegated to the indignity of "dead white men."  That's extremely hard to take when you are very much alive and unable to find work as an academic.

Before the invasion of Iraq, all the cars had French and American flag stickers and we flew both flags on the patriotic holidays of both countries.  In the political wrangling before the invasion, my cousin in Boston was harassed for being French.  I decided it was no longer safe to publicly proclaim my French identity.  The stickers came off the cars - the flags flew no more.

Being a patriot is very much like being a sincere worshiper.  A patriot only Independence day is like a Christian only on Christmas.  It is the other 364 days that really count.  For far too many - they don't . . . . .

Such are the conditions that prevail . . . . .

Edouard

Offline moteaux

• Buick Nut
Happy Veteran's Day to all!

...It is hard to overstate how difficult it has become to be French in the United States...I decided it was no longer safe to publicly proclaim my French identity.

Edouard:  For those of us who have served alongside the French in combat, we have nothing but words of respect for the French Soldier.  Remain proud of your American and French identities.
65 GS HT. 2x4's
BCA 49939

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Thanks moteaux (Re: VETERAN’S DAY)
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 09:27:11 PM »
Dear moteaux and mid-60s Buick owners who have served,

Edouard:  For those of us who have served alongside the French in combat, we have nothing but words of respect for the French Soldier.  Remain proud of your American and French identities.

Thanks for taking the time to write this.  Like any people, the French are anything but perfect.  However, in their finest hour, they stand toe to toe with anyone.  For a somewhat strange reason, I'm especially proud of my Father's service to the French resistance.  His success was due in part to being only 15 and a small boy for his age.  As a result, he was able to do things no adult could have safely attempted to do.  For an adult to show courage in the face of fire is one thing - for a 15 year old to do the same is something not all young people can do.

Thanks again, . . .

Edouard