Author Topic: What's up with this 200-4R Nailhead adapter from Russ Martin?  (Read 758 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
What's up with this 200-4R Nailhead adapter from Russ Martin?
« on: November 05, 2018, 06:51:53 PM »
Dear 65GS.com Nailhead experts,

Russ Martin has another item on eBay that has me puzzled.  It is an adapter bell-housing to fit a 200-4R overdrive tranny to a Nailhead:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Transmission-adapter-Bell-Housing-364-401-425-to-2004R-overdrive/132841444709

It is a fancy piece of machining and quite expensive.  Okay I'm being ignorant again, but somehow I didn't think it was that difficult to fit an overdrive to a Nailhead.  Can somebody 'lurn me on this topic?

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • BUICK. Where the rubber meets the road...
Re: What's up with this 200-4R Nailhead adapter from Russ Martin?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 07:10:29 PM »
I spoke to Russell a while back about the 2004R. It will not bolt directly to a nailhead, (nailheads are not BOP) the adapter requires you to cut the bell housing off the transmission but the spacing is corrected with the adapter to the crank.

You also need a 4L60 OD lock up converter with 27 spline input. Hughes Performance item for about $550.

That puts you at $1400-$1500 plus the cost of the 2004R.

I like the manual, and I can get into Richmond 5 speed for about the same money as the 200R4 behind my nailhead.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 08:04:43 PM by TrunkMonkey »
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 07:51:55 PM »
I was looking at that adapter too, wondering about it.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 11:30:23 PM »
I'll explain.... the Nailhead has a few inches of a 'bellhousing' built into the engine block, therefore the NH transmissions have a shallower bell. If you were to put a BOP or chevy trans behind a NH, there would be a gap of 3-4" between the crankshaft and the torque converter.
The first 200-4R adapter was from Bendtsens. It uses a long crank spacer between the NH flexplate, and a second 'flexplate' to bolt onto the converter! And of course, an adapter flange to join the different bolt pattern between the engine block and transmission. What you end up with is an extra long transmission with a goofy crank-to trans connector.

Russ's design makes for a shorter assembly and allows the crank/flexplate to bolt directly to the converter.

Another option for an overdrive is to put a Gear vendors OD unit behind the ST300 or ST400 trans. That ain't cheap either at $2700.

Here's the Bendtsens adapter. That crank adapter is a couple of inches long.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks for the info! (Re: 200-4R Nailhead adapter from Russ Martin?)
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 04:48:00 PM »
Dear Michael, Jim, Walt, and mid-60s Buick owners with an eye to newer technology, . . . .

Thanks for your replies!  :hello2:

I'll explain.... the Nailhead has a few inches of a 'bellhousing' built into the engine block, therefore the NH transmissions have a shallower bell. If you were to put a BOP or chevy trans behind a NH, there would be a gap of 3-4" between the crankshaft and the torque converter.
The first 200-4R adapter was from Bendtsens. It uses a long crank spacer between the NH flexplate, and a second 'flexplate' to bolt onto the converter! And of course, an adapter flange to join the different bolt pattern between the engine block and transmission. What you end up with is an extra long transmission with a goofy crank-to trans connector.

Okay, thanks for the explanation of the problem.   I wasn't even aware of Bendtsens!  I just added it to my extensive collection of bookmarks.  Here is the link for anyone else who is pack-rat about this sort of info:

https://transmissionadapters.com/

Another option for an overdrive is to put a Gear vendors OD unit behind the ST300 or ST400 trans. That ain't cheap either at $2700.

Has anybody actually tried the Gear Vendor unit behind a Nailhead?  A friend of mine tried to put one behind the stock tranny of his 1957 Chevy Bel Air and was very unhappy with the results.  The shorter driveshaft resulted in some unpleasant vibrations.

I like the manual, and I can get into Richmond 5 speed for about the same money as the 200R4 behind my nailhead.

. . . .   I dunno'  Are you sure you want to be pulling a vintage travel trailer with a manual transmission? . . . . . .

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 08:18:16 PM »
I'll stick to touring all the sites in Kansas...   :tongue3:
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline EZ Cool

• Crazy about Buick!
    • EZ Cool
Gear venders
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 09:42:52 PM »
I have a gear vender OD behind the nailhead in my 50 Cherolet sedan delivery. Absolutely love it.

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Gear venders
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 10:02:30 PM »
I have a gear vender OD behind the nailhead in my 50 Cherolet sedan delivery. Absolutely love it.

What is the GV final OD ratio?
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks for the positive report! (Re: Gear venders)
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 11:05:33 AM »
Dear EZ Cool, Kevin, and 65GS.com information gatherers,

Thanks for the report!  Glad to hear that it worked out very well for your setup!

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 12:38:19 PM »
The GV product must be tough since so many on Drag Week use it, those are some powerful cars. I?ve heard a lot of good things from people when on the Power Tour too, just none of them were behind a Nailhead.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 03:35:35 PM »
The Gear Vendors OD is VERT STOUT. It's put behind 1200+HP cars, motor homes, etc. & best part can be shifted on the fly. WOT. Costly but in some cases worth it. Best part is that it CAN be removed & used on other vehicles you may own if you sell the car it was installed in originally & kept the original parts.
Classic & Muscle Automotive
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045
No answer: leave message, will call back
E-Mail: telriv@yahoo.com

Offline EZ Cool

• Crazy about Buick!
    • EZ Cool
Re: Gear venders
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 06:17:08 PM »

What is the GV final OD ratio?

I just looked back on this thread and saw where this was not answered. The GV has a 80% OD. Not enough OD in my opinion but still much better than none. I would be happier with 70% but then it probably would not be as strong.

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 07:08:15 PM »
I have one behind my nailhead (64 'lark with T-10 wide ratio and 3.54)

This was after looking at the cost for a 5 speed and as Tom mentioned, I could always use the unit behind anything I want, with only having to buy a correct tailshaft housing for trans type and the speedo sensor for gear specific gear ratios for it to shift at the correct MPH in gear(s).

It is a pretty easy install and simple to operate.

Before I was running about 3600 RPM at 70-75 and now it is about 2600.

And it is a hoot to drive around town, and being able to select over/under in any gear (especially 2-4) is touch of button rather than shifting, so it is fast and direct.

Digging and hitting the button on launch, it autoshifts to first and it really pulls hard and almost 30% further than 1st alone.

Driving around in 3rd over, is a bit higher than being in fourth, but "downshifting" to third while making the loud pedal flat will get about 30 foot of squeal and some wide eyes.

I am very happy with it, and the nailhead torque seems to be pretty happy no matter when or where I hit the button.   :glasses9:

(Yes Edouard, it would make pulling a trailer a delight behind the billy-goat, or just plain old fun hauling apples)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 07:11:16 PM by TrunkMonkey »
Michael

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 07:48:10 PM »
Thank you for the review! Tom make a great point too that you do not necessarily have to sell the GV unit if you change cars. I drive a lot so always been intrigued by the Gear Vendors. Might have to price one out while on the Power Tour in June.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
CA transmission for a CA car! (Re: 200-4R Nailhead adapter)
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 01:50:46 PM »
Dear EZ Cool, Michael, Jim, and mid-60s Buick caregivers who appreciate modern conveniences,

(Yes Edouard, it would make pulling a trailer a delight behind the billy-goat, or just plain old fun hauling apples)

Thanks for the suggestion and thinking of my trusty wagon!  However, since Biquette has a Buick big-block I had more choices for transmissions and ultimately chose a hardened 200-4R from California Performance Transmissions.  What else could I really do?  After all, shouldn't a Buick built at the GM Fremont plant have a California transmission? . . . .  :laughing7:

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 02:54:56 PM by elagache »