Author Topic: GS vs Special A/C question  (Read 315 times)

Offline GranSportSedan

• Crazy about Buick!
GS vs Special A/C question
« on: October 24, 2018, 09:11:05 AM »
I have found a very nice all original 66 Special to replace my destroyed 66 GS. the GS was a non A/C car and the Special is a 300 powered car with factory A/C. I am considering swapping all the GS stuff including engine and trans to the special and was wondering if there is anything on a 66 GS with A/C that is specific to the GS only. in other words will all the A/C components aside from compressor mounting brackets work with the nailhead conversion?   is the condenser different?  i'm seriously thinking of swapping the entire frame and drivetrain. i can have it all detailed and then just mount the special body on the new chassis.  thoughts?

Bob
1966 Special Deluxe
1941 Buick Sedanette
2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: GS vs Special A/C question
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 10:26:15 AM »
The hoses that connect to the compressor and the two brackets supporting them are different  I think the hose assemblies are close enough though that you could tweak the bends a littler or have them modified by classic auto air in FL to fit if you are not worried about them looking exactly correct.   Also keep in mind that the compressor on a 401 has a double groove pulley, and the special compressor has a single.  The compressor itself is the same--just has different pulley and a clutch plate with a longer snout on it.  The compressor and bracket setup is common with all the 64-66 nailhead powered wildcats/electras/rivs, so you are not limited to finding parts from a Skylark GS. 

Parts you will need to find:
3 groove crank and wp pulleys
2 groove A/C compressor and brackets from nailhead engine
2-groove alternator pulley
Clutch fan from 64-66 nailhead engine
Radiator for a Skylark GS with A/C and the different top radiator hose
Fuel filter with return line connection (only on A/C cars)
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 10:58:10 AM »
And I think what you are proposing is a great idea!  I wouldn't hesitate to tackle swapping the Special body onto your GS chasis.  Even if you don't have all the A/C stuff in hand, you can always add that stuff on later as you find it and enjoy the car in the meantime.
'89 Ford F-350 4x4

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 12:06:17 PM »
Great summary Brian.  I would add that the fan shrouds are different (my one-track mind at work again...).  They are also different than the shrouds on the big cars, so exclusive to the 65-66 Skylark GS.  There are some repops available, but originals seem to be non-existent. 

Good luck with the swap!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 02:21:29 PM »
Good catch Chuck!  I wasn't even thinking about the fan shroud.   That too is one of the items that can be added later and not essential for driving the car. 
  I am always a big proponent of working with what you have to get a car going, then working out the last 5% of the details later on once the parts are found!   
'89 Ford F-350 4x4

Offline GranSportSedan

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 05:02:28 PM »
Thanks for the input fellas. I was aware of the fan shroud but not the dual pulley issue. I think I can source most of the parts fairly easily. I had all the parts to repair my GS but then found that the seller also failed to disclose the paper thin floor pans from front to rear and I decided at that point I was either going to scrap the car and part it out or find a nice Skylark or Special and do a major Organ transplant.

I just love the interior on the Special
Bob
1966 Special Deluxe
1941 Buick Sedanette

Offline GranSportSedan

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 05:12:01 PM »
when I say all original I really mean it. still has all the Cali smog equipment. it was a California high desert car and it has been in storage for at least 10 years.

Bob
1966 Special Deluxe
1941 Buick Sedanette

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 06:26:04 PM »
I like it too!  Especially the center arm rest!
'89 Ford F-350 4x4

Offline mdkd

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 08:43:09 PM »
GranSportSedan

WOW

Almost all my 64-65 Buick A bodies have had white or red interiors but I have never owned a 66.

Your red interior is amazing.

Could you post a picture with the arm rest folded down that Brian was talking about?

From the pictures it looks like the narrow bands in the seats are a little darker then the wider ones.

I also hadn't seen the 66 California smog setup. Thanks for the documentation.

Milton
65 White GS HT My Pride & Joy
31 in Registry 2022 BCA Gold
65 Red White GS Convert 99 in Registry
SOLD to a good home in Ohio
65 Black GS HT - SOLD to a good home local
Several 64-65 non GS HT & Convert Sold
64 Special 4dr parents bought new not 4 sale

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Yup, that's CA smog clutter! (Re: GS vs Special A/C question)
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 09:27:29 PM »
Dear Bob, Brian, Milton, and mid-60s Buick owners with long memories, . . . .

when I say all original I really mean it. still has all the Cali smog equipment. it was a California high desert car and it has been in storage for at least 10 years.

I also hadn't seen the 66 California smog setup. Thanks for the documentation.

Yup, I can spot one of those crankcase ventilator hoses from a good distance away.  My trusty wagon has limped with one of those since birth until she got her "supersized" engine in 2013.  Can you believe it, she has never complained about losing it!! . . . .  :laughing7:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline GranSportSedan

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 11:55:09 AM »
Yup, I can spot one of those crankcase ventilator hoses from a good distance away.  My trusty wagon has limped with one of those since birth until she got her "supersized" engine in 2013

I wonder if the old smog systems cost the engine some power vs an identical engine without the smog stuff.
Bob
1966 Special Deluxe
1941 Buick Sedanette

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Recirculating exhaust costs power (Re: GS vs Special A/C question)
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 05:07:42 PM »
Dear Bob and mid-60s Buick owners seeking maximum power,

I wonder if the old smog systems cost the engine some power vs an identical engine without the smog stuff.

Those hoses were part of a crankcase ventilation system.  They were pulling exhaust out of the crankcase and forcing the engine to burn it a second time to reduce the exhaust emissions.  Recirculating exhaust can't do anything but reduce performance.  Most performance engines instead have a crankcase breather to allow any gas pressure to escape to the atmosphere.  The only real reason to keep that early pollution control technology is to keep the car absolutely original.  It isn't like that early technology was doing much to reduce the pollution and none of us drive our cars all that much anyway.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 05:09:19 PM by elagache »

Offline 455pev

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Recirculating exhaust costs power (Re: GS vs Special A/C question)
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 05:41:29 PM »
Dear Bob and mid-60s Buick owners seeking maximum power,

Those hoses were part of a crankcase ventilation system.  They were pulling exhaust out of the crankcase and forcing the engine to burn it a second time to reduce the exhaust emissions.  Recirculating exhaust can't do anything but reduce performance.  Most performance engines instead have a crankcase breather to allow any gas pressure to escape to the atmosphere.  The only real reason to keep that early pollution control technology is to keep the car absolutely original.  It isn't like that early technology was doing much to reduce the pollution and none of us drive our cars all that much anyway.

back then wasn't it just and air pump that pumped fresh air into the exhaust to dilute the exhaust gases so that it would pass Emissions?  Then there was the closed crankcase system that was hooked to the breather to the valve cover so that any vapor form the engine was sucked into the carb.  Egr (exhaust Gas Recerculation) came about latter mid early 70's,  right? 
65 skylark 455 low 11's street car
65 sportwagon, AC, p/w. 300 4v
65 GS AC, tilt, rear speeker. new to me
69 GS 400 Convertible

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 09:33:02 PM »
The later EGR systems were the ones that brought exhaust gas back into the intake tract. Early 1970's. It's purpose is to lower combustion temperatures to reduce N2O emissions.
The PCV will recycle most crankcase gasses (blow by) back into the intake. Suppose those gasses could be considered to be comprised of 'exhaust'. The open PCV (with open breather) will vent any excess blowby to atmosphere, whereas the closed PCV will try to capture the excess and route it to the air cleaner.

For 1966, they added the smog pump which will use some engine power to drive. It injects air into the exhaust to allow unburnt fuel to continue burning.

Bob, the 4 bbl  '66 Carbs with Calif smog systems did have smaller primary venturi's......I'll guess that reduces the cfm, and horsepower.

As for the GS AC compressor, I have one from a '66 Riv GS and the label, IIRC,  Says it's for the GS's.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 10:17:34 PM »
Here's a well-worn twin to (is it yours yet?) white/red Special:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Buick-Skylark-Special-Deluxe-V8/253947507236?hash=item3b20737224:g:idcAAOSwSYpbz-Jg:rk:11:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Looks solid, but not nearly as nice as your appears to be.
Good to hear you found something to put that B262 on!
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal