Author Topic: Testing  (Read 403 times)

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
Testing
« on: September 13, 2018, 08:29:08 PM »
Doing some testing here, having difficulties posting pictures. 
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Testing
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 09:17:10 PM »
more test
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 08:46:39 AM »
And more test. Weights on the yellow car 1/4 tank of fuel, spare tire in trunk, me in the driver's seat.   
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:49:55 AM by Rollaround »
Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 08:51:09 AM »
more
Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 08:55:48 AM »
Still testing.  It seems my Iphone has changed it's picture format, I'm now unable to post recently taken pictures.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 09:40:46 PM »
Is there anyone else out there that’s experienced any difficulty using an iPhone to load pictures on this site?
Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 10:29:30 PM »
Is there anyone else out there that’s experienced any difficulty using an iPhone to load pictures on this site?

IPhone, iPad they all seem to use a format that this site doesn’t care for. Have given up trying to load pictures here for the most part. Loren thinks the mods required to facilitate this format would be cost prohibitive.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 10:44:14 AM »
My thoughts also. I'm unable to post pictures without going through some multiple step process and I don't have time for the thousand word SA to explain the picture I can't post. 
Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 11:01:43 AM »
Apple seems to like the JPEG format while most everyone else uses the JPG format. Oh well.

Dan

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Two different names for the same file format. (Re: Testing )
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 01:50:51 PM »
Dear Kevin, Dan, and mid-60s Buick owners who wish computers were more straightforward to use,

Apple seems to like the JPEG format while most everyone else uses the JPG format. Oh well.

JPEG and JPG are two different file extensions that normally apply to the same image compression technology.  The names are an abbreviation for Joint Photographic Experts Group which came up with the standards.  All this is explained in this article on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG

Now it - could - be that Apple has changed their version of the compression algorithm such that 65GS.com can no longer handle the actual files, but that should get the entire industry screaming bloody murder.  So, you might try simply changing the filename to eliminate the E.  I think it is possible to do this with iOS 11.

Sorry, Apple used to be the champions of making technology easy to use, but they clearly have lost that calling.

Oh well, . . . . .Edouard

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 02:04:38 PM »
Kevin,

If you want to just upload one or two photos try using the JPEG, PNG, Image file converter app. It’s free and very easy to use. 65GS.com accepts PNG formatted pictures.

Dan

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 02:27:35 PM »
Yes, on a JPG file, you can change the file name to a Jpeg or Jpeg to JPG. Do it all the time in the crazy graphics biz. Most of the issues I have uploading to 65GS.com are just oversized files. I bring them into  Photoshop to reduce the file size, but realize that most of you guys don't have that available. I don't know if there is cheap or free software out there to do that, never looked. If anyone needs files reduced in size to post here, email them to me and I can do it.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Testing raw iPhone photo (Re: Testing )
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 05:20:38 PM »
Dear Dan, Mark, and 65GS.com fans of photos,

It has been another 3-ringed circus day for me but I got a chance to run a test of my own.  I took a photo of my trusty wagon, I emailed to myself in the Apple "medium" size, I then downloaded the raw file onto my computer and uploaded it to this posting.  Here is the test.  It looks fine to me.

So what is the problem?  Are you trying to upload photos directly from your iPhone?  Is the problem that the images are by themselves too large?  I think it should be possible to resize the images directly on your iPhone.  I believe Photos for iOS should be able to do that, although I've never tried on iOS.  There might be an iOS app that does this more easily.  If you explain what you are trying to do, perhaps we can come up with a solution.

Cheers, Edouard
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 05:24:26 PM by elagache »

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 07:22:40 PM »

IPhone, iPad they all seem to use a format that this site doesn’t care for. Have given up trying to load pictures here for the most part. Loren thinks the mods required to facilitate this format would be cost prohibitive.

Dan

When we had the forum redone, I asked about the photo program.  My understanding is that by updating the photo program, all the photos in previous posts would be lost or have to be added manually.   :dontknow:

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Can we solve this problem another way? (Re: Testing )
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 11:18:10 AM »
Dear Loren and mid-60s Buick owners who suffer from dubious software design,

When we had the forum redone, I asked about the photo program.  My understanding is that by updating the photo program, all the photos in previous posts would be lost or have to be added manually.   :dontknow:

I agree 100% that we don't want to lose the photos that have been added to posts in the past.  They are an essential part of the "know how" that makes this forum such a valuable resource.

So the question is why are people having problems uploading photos?  iPhones have been mentioned, but I don't know how those phones are being used.  How are people accessing the forum and how are they trying to upload these photos?  If the problem is a matter of reducing the size of the photos before uploading them, I think it should be possible to resize these photos on you iOS device before you attempt to upload them.

The other thing people might want to look into is using a 3rd party photo hosting service.  As I have mentioned in the past, I use SmugMug:

https://www.smugmug.com/

It is a paid service, but I personally prefer to pay a fee in exchange to getting better service.  There are advantages like it automatically generates the BBS code to allow you to insert your photos in 65GS.com.  It also has it own apps for iOS and Android to make it easy add your device pictures to your online account.

Recently, SmugMug acquired Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/

Flickr is a free service and has many of the same features as SmugMug.  With SmugMug's support, it is likely to continue for many years to come.  Perhaps that is another way 65GS.com members can get their photos onto the website from the mobile devices.

Certainly let's continue the conversation and see if we can resolve this problem one way or another.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14: