Author Topic: Photos from the 2018 Orinda Classic Car show.  (Read 157 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Photos from the 2018 Orinda Classic Car show.
« on: September 09, 2018, 09:39:44 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick owners with a taste for car shows,

It is September and time for the Orinda Classic Car Show which was held yesterday.  The show wasn't as expansive as it has been in the past, but a certain rascally wagon still made her appearance and was a star!!

I put some extra effort in detailing the engine bay and she certainly looked as nice as any other car in the show.  Here is the view from the back:

Against the right edge of the photo is one of the two posters that tell the story of Biquette in our family.  These posters are getting really worn out, but I didn't have any time to do more then stuff them back together for the show.

Alas it was another tough year for Buick lovers.  The only other Buick was this regular participant - a 1970 GS 455

The 1965 Rivera that used to be a regular participant didn't make this year's show.  However, there was a curious 64 with a "Buick heart" - an 1964 Apollo 5000GT:

The story of these cars can be found on Wikipedia (where else?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_(1962_automobile)

These limited production cars used 215 Buick aluminum engines and later the 300 Buick small block engines.  Here is one more picture:

This car used to be a participant until the owner passed away.  Recently, a son-in-law restored the car and it has returned to the show for the first time since the restoration.

The show had it usual collection of muscle cars and exotics.  The one car that I thought was interesting was this 1940 Lincoln 3-window coupe:

It was powered by a Flathead V-12 engine:

Here is the view from the other side:

There was a poster describing this car which I took a photograph of:

If you still have a hunger for some more classic car photographs, I have a SmugMug online gallery where you can get your classic car fix:

https://canebas.smugmug.com/ClassicandCustomAutomobiles/Car-Shows/2018-Orinda-Classic-Car-Show

You can even view it as a slide show if you prefer:

https://canebas.smugmug.com/frame/slideshow?key=jMhgFL&autoStart=1&captions=0&navigation=0&playButton=0&randomize=0&speed=3&transition=fade&transitionSpeed=2&clickable=1

The show is over and Biquette is already getting ready to go back to her normal household duties.  The floormat and egg crate boxes are back in her cargo area and her generic floormats are going back in instead of her matching carpet floormats that contribute to her "star-power"!

Such is the life of a 53 year old rascally wagon!

Cheers, Edouard   :occasion14:

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Photos from the 2018 Orinda Classic Car show.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 10:04:09 PM »
Great stuff Edouard!  :thumbsup:
Sure bet it felt good for Biquette to make an appearance!

That Apollo is really a curiosity isn't it? And, Biquette originally came with a 300cu.in.?

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Yup, OEM equipped with the 300. (Re: 2018 Orinda Classic Car show.)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 10:56:28 AM »
Dear Iain and mid-60s Buick owners with a taste for classic style,

That Apollo is really a curiosity isn't it?

Yes it is, but I really do like the lines of this car.  It really looks like a sports car with a lot of class.  It is exactly the sort of thing Buick should have been making at the time.

And, Biquette originally came with a 300cu.in.?

Yes indeed.  Alas after two rebuilds it wasn't exactly unscathed . .

I do feel guilty abandoning Biquette's original engine, but she never would have been able to fulfill the objectives my Dad and I always had for her with such a small engine.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14: