Author Topic: cigarette lighter assembly removal  (Read 448 times)

Offline BuckeyeBuicks

• Buick Nut
cigarette lighter assembly removal
« on: August 22, 2018, 02:17:04 PM »
Ok guys, I give up! I am taking the instrument panel on my 65 GS apart to restore it. Everything when fine until I went to remove the cigarette lighter assembly. The bezel turns , the housing turns but I can't get the bezel to separate from the lighter housing. What am I doing wrong?  Please help, I have run out of cuss words!!

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: cigarette lighter assembly removal
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 02:37:26 PM »
You have to somehow hold the inner part of it from turning while the outer shell threads off the back.  Pushing a tapered piece of wood into the inner part from the front side will sometimes grab it, or you can stick a big screwdriver into one of the slots down inside of it to hold it, but you can deform/damage the inner part holding it that way. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline BuckeyeBuicks

• Buick Nut
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 03:04:22 PM »
I went back to it after asking and calmed down enough to look at it better and done just as you said and it come apart just like it should.  Thanks for the reply, I guess I should try a little harder before bothering you guys with my dumb questions!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Better to ask than break it! (Re: cigarette lighter assembly removal)
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 04:32:34 PM »
Dear Mike, Brian, and mid-60s owners who tinker with care!

Thanks for the reply, I guess I should try a little harder before bothering you guys with my dumb questions!

Quite the opposite.  This forum has very low traffic so you aren't bugging anybody with your questions.  On the other hand everything automotive is known to be assembled with the "proper" amount of force.  In some cases this force can be considerable - but not in all cases!  In areas like the dash it is better to make sure you understand how it comes apart before you "force it - to death!"

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 04:35:46 PM »
Glad you got it!

I have an unfortunate problem with my headlamp knob. The spring got worn so when I would pull on it to turn on the headlights, the knob would come off. So I superglued it. Which is good, it never comes off. But bad, because I can't get it off to deal with the switch or wiring back there.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Dear Iain and mid-60s Buick owners who like their dash switches to do their job!

I have an unfortunate problem with my headlamp knob. The spring got worn so when I would pull on it to turn on the headlights, the knob would come off. So I superglued it. Which is good, it never comes off. But bad, because I can't get it off to deal with the switch or wiring back there.

That certainly solved the problem - da' hard way! . . .

Isn't that spring on the switch?  So you could solve that problem by replacing the switch.  At least the last time I looked this was a part you could pick up at even local auto parts stores.  If you really used CA (Cyanoacrylate) glue, you should be able to break your knob free without too much force.  Unless you did an amazing job prepping the surface, the bond won't be that strong and it is a very brittle substance.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 09:34:55 PM »
Those were my exact thoughts Edouard.
But I have since pulled quiet hard, to no avail.
The knob itself has a spring inside. The plunger on the switch is grooved. Dunno how it got so tight, but it did.

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 10:31:40 PM »
Doesn’t the headlight knob pull have a triangular shaft ? If so, recall that there is a release button on the switch box behind the dash. Probably not explaining it very well, but pressing the spring loaded button releases the shaft.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 07:01:08 AM »
Dan is right on the mark.  Pull the headlight knob to the full on position, then reach under/behind the dash and push the little spring loaded button on the top of the headlight switch with one hand while pulling the knob with the other.  The knob and shaft will come out together.  Knob is not supposed to come off of the shaft--they were pressed together at the factory. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline 197064buickspec

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 05:37:08 PM »
Pics