Author Topic: On the Hemming's blog: Common ways that 60s muscle cars get molested  (Read 57 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Dear mid-60s Buick owners with an eye on da' market,

There is an article on the Hemming's blog in which Thomas DeMauro recounts some of the common ways in which muscle cars got molested in their first 20 years of their lives:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/07/26/14-relatively-common-traits-of-pre-owned-1960s-muscle-cars-for-sale-in-the-1980s/

The list doesn't have much in the way of surprises, but I'm sure you'll have to smile at some of the outrageous things that were done to these cars!  :laughing7:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: On the Hemming's blog: Common ways that 60s muscle cars get molested
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 11:11:23 AM »
I was guilty of one or two of those faux pas.  :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

Especially #7 in the 71 Mach 1 I owned from 1975 to 1977. I did retain the original radio, which is stored somewhere in my basement. I you're familiar with the 71-71 Mustang fastback design, you know how there's a plastic molded armrest for rear seat passengers. I unceremoniously chopped nice holes into them to install 5 inch round speakers just to listen to Black Sabbath's "Sabotage" on 8 track.  :angel4:  :angel4: (Still have that 8 track too)

Guy who now owns the car wasn't to pleased to hear about my custom work.  :angry5:  :laughing7: Apparently those molded armrests are/were made of unobtainium. Oops.  :evil6:

That car was factory built with the solid lifter 429 SCJ engine, and more than a few guys were sure the cam and lifters were bad. It had a 780 Holley carb from the factory, so didn't need to change that. I did install a set of Hooker Headers, along with my "custom" exhaust system consisting of 2 sections of straight pipe clamped to the headers and turbo mufflers. Then I hung the mufflers with some coat hanger wire.  :headbang:  :headbang: That held up for almost two years, until I sold the car.  :laughing1:

Never bothered with any seat covers, as I didn't care for them. No air shocks either, just had the factory leaf springs recurved with one extra leaf. That cured the  wheel hop issues it originally had.
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.