Author Topic: Wiper Arms and Blade Replacement/Refills  (Read 214 times)

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
Wiper Arms and Blade Replacement/Refills
« on: July 11, 2018, 04:58:13 PM »
Hi all,

I have been replacing my wipers using a part from NAPA, that came with a dull metal arm that accept refills. I would remove the refill and put in my factory chrome arms.  Well they changed the design and to fit I had to pull the rubber out ant trim a extra rib on the backside and then reinstall into my old blade steel reinforcement,  a bit of a pain.

I checked a few other parts places and they said they no longer offer refills.

What do you all do for replacements?

Regards,
Jim

1965 Skylark post car (65 GS frame 401/4-speed, 2x4's)
1964 Skylark (future 430 stick)
1965 Special 4 door 300 4speed
1964 Special 2 door (future, GS 401 3 speed stick)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Getting rare! (Re: Wiper Arms and Blade Replacement/Refills)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 05:41:28 PM »
Dear Jim and mid-60s Buick owners who are prepared for a rainy day,

I have been replacing my wipers using a part from NAPA, that came with a dull metal arm that accept refills. I would remove the refill and put in my factory chrome arms.  Well they changed the design and to fit I had to pull the rubber out ant trim a extra rib on the backside and then reinstall into my old blade steel reinforcement,  a bit of a pain.

Unfortunately, refills are getting harder and harder to come by.  For a number of years I was buying these refills from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009IK4PY/

They are still available, but no longer from Amazon, only from some of their merchants.  I'm not sure they would fit the OEM wipers.  My wagon apparently had her wipers replaced very early on.  However, this is a universal refill it might work. 

Recently, I purchased these very nice looking reproduction wipers from OPGI:

https://www.opgi.com/skylark/KM02003/

Unfortunately, they aren't exactly Buick factory, but they are nice and clean.  I was hoping to see if I could use the universal 15" refill with those.  It looks possible, but I haven't actually tried it.

At the moment I have located refills for all of our 3 cars, but the industry is trying to force us to buy replacement blades instead.  We may be forced into it by unfriendly marketing trends . . .  :angryfire:

Cheers, Edouard

Offline thood1954

• Buick Fan
Re: Wiper Arms and Blade Replacement/Refills
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 10:58:47 PM »
Hi all,

Regards,
  Bought mine from Rockauto wiper arms and all. Fit perfectly.
Tom