Author Topic: Photos of Buicks during Summer 2018!  (Read 215 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Photos of Buicks during Summer 2018!
« on: June 20, 2018, 04:54:12 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick owner who love summertime,

Tomorrow is the Summer Solstice.  You can look up exactly at what time this will happen at your location on this handy webpage:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20180621T1007&msg=June%20Solstice%202018

Many of you have had your beloved Buicks squirreled away from the winter, but that's long gone.  So now there is no excuses!  It is time for you all to get your cameras out and show off those beautiful Buicks!

Without hogging I'll break the ice with this picture of my trusty wagon with a very typical California background:

Yes indeed, summertime in California is extremely dry!

I'll tack on another "fish that got away" sort of photo to provide some inspiration:

I never did manage to photograph my wagon with this dandelion having successfully "entered" where it wasn't supposed to, but that certainly would have been a neat background.  So while better camera technology may take better quality pictures, the best pictures start with an appealing background.  All you need to find those appealing backgrounds is: your every own eyes!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Buick_65

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Photos of Buicks during Summer 2018!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 05:08:21 PM »
This was from Fathers Day, but close to summer.  It was food for the soul to roll around in the father in laws hooptie on a beautiful sunny day.

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 09:06:53 PM »
Hooray for summer! My fav season.
Cars looking great.   
:glasses9:
I live in a small town that has barns, but nothing I can get close enough to. My wife introduced me to a cool backroad I never knew about in the next town. I really like metal warehouses and industrial backdrops.
How do you guys find photo ops? Just drive around or search on Google?

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks and info (Re: Photos of Buicks)
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 04:41:48 PM »
Dear Todd, Iain, and owners of photogenic mid-60s Buicks,

This was from Fathers Day, but close to summer.  It was food for the soul to roll around in the father in laws hooptie on a beautiful sunny day.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!  :hello2:

I live in a small town that has barns, but nothing I can get close enough to. My wife introduced me to a cool backroad I never knew about in the next town. I really like metal warehouses and industrial backdrops.
How do you guys find photo ops? Just drive around or search on Google?

I've never tried to search for places on the web because I'm not sure what I would be searching for.  These days I try to make a 1 hour walk every day so that I sleep better.  As a result, I get to see a lot of the local neighborhood.  Before the roads got so crowded, I used to make long bike rides.  That introduced me to other potential places to photograph my classic.  Something to think about is getting in touch with any local historical societies.  They might be able to point you to buildings that might look like they did in the mid-60s.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
A study in backgrounds . . . (Re: Photos of Buicks)
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 06:14:24 PM »
Dear owners of mid-60 photogenic Buicks,

Biquette got the call to pick up a few items at the local grocery store and that gave me a chance to take two quick photos at a local grade school.  The first photo was taken next to modern electronic sign that was installed at the school last autumn:

As you can see, modern signs look very different from what might have been seen in the 1960s and our cars don't exactly seem to fit in.  Here is a photo taken by a very old sign that could date from the construction of the school in the 1950s or so:

It isn't a super-amazing photo, but it does look much more like something that could have been taken 40 years ago or more.

Just a little inspiration for the next time you get your beloved Buick out on the road!

P.S. No fancy camera needed.  I took both photos with my iPhone 6.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
3 photos with period backgrounds (Re: Photos of Buicks during Summer!)
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 06:23:30 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick owners who could use a mid-summer pick-me-up,

Early August already and it has been excessively warm throughout the country.  That makes it difficult to get out your classic.  Oddly enough for me, one calamity reduced the effect of the heat.  We are getting so much smoke from the Mendocino Complex fires in California that today's high was only in the mid-70s instead of the 92 degrees of yesterday!

As a result, I got my trusty wagon out to pick up some items from local stores and that gave me a chance to take some photos in areas that look to me like they could have been that way in the 1960s. The first is a ranch area that has been somewhat restored:

I've taken photos here before but never of this particular building.  Here is Biquette at another angle:

Finally there is this building that has something of a Mediterranean feel to it:

So if it is too hot to get out your Buick at least enjoy these pictures in an air-conditioned place!

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • BUICK. Where the rubber meets the road...
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 01:37:47 AM »

Me and my little brother (who drove 30 hours round trip to come visit me) hunting elephants...
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Did ya' bag any? . . . . (Re: Photos of Buicks)
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 03:46:58 PM »
Dear Michael and mid-60s Buick owners who go "hunting," . . . . .

Me and my little brother (who drove 30 hours round trip to come visit me) hunting elephants...

. . . . Don't leave is in suspense!  So how many elephants did ya' get! . . . . .

Seriously, thanks for sharing! . . . 

So who's next with a handy camera?

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • BUICK. Where the rubber meets the road...
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 01:43:44 AM »
Well, four different people have said. "Damn! That thing can jump!"  I never heard "Jump" before. LOL

My best friend has an '85 Monte Carlo with an LS and one guy I work with has a  2004 Mach 1, and the president of the company has a 1968 Camaro.  None want to play. :(

I am swapping the 2x4 Carter's for 2x4 FItech EFI in the next weekend or two. And we will see if it becomes more "driveable".

I just cannot get a good clean idle/off idle. It is like the old school temperamental and finicky hot rod. Fine for 1970s-1980s, but being spoiled over the years driving "computerized fuel systmes" and not having the time to always tweak things. I want to see how it goes with the EFI TBs.

Once I get it dialed in. Gonna go hunting Elephants, Ponies/Snakes, some Rats  and play a little "Nailhead and Indians"...   :laughing7:
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline Robert V

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 06:49:43 AM »
Good morning,

Here is a photo from sunrise July 21,2018.
It was taken at Jones Beach which is located in Nassau County, New York.

I snapped the photo after I finished my morning coffee.

Regards,
Robert

Offline mdkd

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 08:42:39 AM »
Robert

Looks like a really great way to start the day!!!!

Milton
65 White GS HT My Pride & Joy
31 in Registry 2022 BCA Gold
65 Red White GS Convert 99 in Registry
SOLD to a good home in Ohio
65 Black GS HT - SOLD to a good home local
Several 64-65 non GS HT & Convert Sold
64 Special 4dr parents bought new not 4 sale

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks and keep us posted! (Re: Photos of Buicks)
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 10:57:41 AM »
Dear Michael, Robert, Milton and owners of mid-60s photogenic and assertive Buicks,

Well, four different people have said. "Damn! That thing can jump!"  I never heard "Jump" before. LOL

Well, it is a compliment!  :laughing7:

I am swapping the 2x4 Carter's for 2x4 FItech EFI in the next weekend or two. And we will see if it becomes more "driveable".

It should help significantly.  The only issue is getting the EFI parameters dialed in.  Let us know how that turns out.

It was taken at Jones Beach which is located in Nassau County, New York.

Beautiful picture!  Thanks for sharing!  :hello2: