Author Topic: Front stabiliser bar upgrade  (Read 554 times)

Offline BuckeyeBuicks

• Buick Nut
Front stabiliser bar upgrade
« on: June 19, 2018, 06:33:33 AM »
I have heard or read somewhere about upgrading the front stabilizer bar on my 65 GS to the heavier one from a 70's/early 80's F body or maybe Regal/Monte Carlo but can't find any information now that I need it. Can someone set me straight on what one is the best to use and maybe part numbers(Moog or TRW?) for the stabilizer links and the bar to frame bushings? I have an aftermarket rear bar installed so I would like the better option for the front as well.
Thanks, Mike

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline BuckeyeBuicks

• Buick Nut
Re: Front stabiliser bar upgrade
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 07:48:22 AM »
Thanks for the link! My frugal mind was thinking junkyard piece but getting a powder coated piece with the links and bushings for the price listed sounds a whole lot better. I am getting too old and lazy to  sweat my butt off going junk yarding, cleaning, painting and then buying all the other pieces needed to install it. I am learning a lot of good tips on this site!! 
Thanks again, Mike

Offline GranSportSedan

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 08:35:41 AM »
Just a heads up, i bought one of those 1 1/4 Addco front sway bars and found that one of the ends was not oriented correctly and was tilted a bit compared to a stock part and to the other end of the sway bar. it put the end link at an angle on that end.
Bob
1966 Special Deluxe
1941 Buick Sedanette
2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel

Offline BuckeyeBuicks

• Buick Nut
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 09:27:10 AM »
That is good to know, I may be hitting the junk yard after all. Did you use it or send it back?

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 10:01:08 AM »
There are many choices depends on your intentions the stock  bars work great! You can run everything from the all out road race bars with greasable bushing and spherical links ( harsh ride for a street car) , to a stock set with standard rubber bushings and end links! All three of my cars have  1 1/4 fronts with 7/8 rears! They are GS big block cars! If you have a Small block or V6 car you can greatly improve them just by adding a GS front bar 15/16 and a rear 7/8 bar! The Z16 and 442 cars were the first ones to use the rear bars in the pre 1967 cars! My post car does run a hollow heavy sidewall 1 1/4 front bar with greasable bushings and Polly graphite end links! The 70's through 80's Z28's and Trans Am 's have the 1 1/4  and 1 1/8 fronts! Rock Auto and parts place carry the stock 7/8 rear in a repo cheap!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Lots of manufacturers (Re: Front stabiliser bar upgrade)
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 02:01:57 PM »
Dear Mike, Kevin, GranSport, Jon, and mid-60s Buick owners seeking improved handling,

I have heard or read somewhere about upgrading the front stabilizer bar on my 65 GS to the heavier one from a 70's/early 80's F body or maybe Regal/Monte Carlo but can't find any information now that I need it.

There are many choices depends on your intentions . . . .

Indeed this is a part that is universal across GM A-Bodies of the period so there is still competition for reproduction parts.  For whatever it's worth my wagon just got a suspension upgrade using UMI Parts.  Here is her front anti-sway bar:

I'm extremely pleased by all the upgrades that were done on my wagon.  I was hoping it would help with all the bad road conditions we have here in Northern California, but the results were more than I could have hoped!  It doesn't make the road smooth, but at least when you hit a bump the car recovers quickly and firmly.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

P.S. Yes, the gang at Orinda Classic Car replaced the sticker with one that was right-side-up!  :laughing7:

Offline GranSportSedan

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 08:14:37 AM »
There are many choices depends on your intentions the stock  bars work great! You can run everything from the all out road race bars with greasable bushing and spherical links ( harsh ride for a street car) , to a stock set with standard rubber bushings and end links! All three of my cars have  1 1/4 fronts with 7/8 rears! They are GS big block cars! If you have a Small block or V6 car you can greatly improve them just by adding a GS front bar 15/16 and a rear 7/8 bar! The Z16 and 442 cars were the first ones to use the rear bars in the pre 1967 cars! My post car does run a hollow heavy sidewall 1 1/4 front bar with greasable bushings and Polly graphite end links! The 70's through 80's Z28's and Trans Am 's have the 1 1/4  and 1 1/8 fronts! Rock Auto and parts place carry the stock 7/8 rear in a repo cheap!

it had been sitting in my "parts to install" pile for too long to return it so now it sits in my garage gathering dust
Bob
1966 Special Deluxe
1941 Buick Sedanette
2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel

Offline GreatScat1965

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 08:48:03 AM »
Sway bar??? Huh... :confused4:

Jerry :rocker:
Jerry