Author Topic: Chrome Wheel Restoration/Reproduction  (Read 1569 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Chrome Wheel Restoration/Reproduction
« on: May 07, 2018, 10:05:08 PM »
At our meeting on Saturday, there was discussion of options for restoring or buying reproduced chrome wheels for our cars.  I was aware that Coker sells reproduction wheels for $212 each and had heard of wheels being restored as an option.  Rob talked about his good experience with McWheels in Slater, Iowa.  Some of you might be aware that McWheels has gotten some bad press on V8Buick and other forums for slowness, delays, and substandard communication.  However, Rob and a few others that chimed in on the forums have had consistently good service from them.  Rob shared the phone number for the owner, Curt McKim and I called him today on my way home from our meet.  He’s an easy guy to talk with and was very helpful on the phone.  He offers three options for wheel restoration or reproduction.  The lowest cost option he can perform if the chrome is continuous and there is no rust on the rims.  He claims he can make these into about an 8 (of 10) on the appearance scale.  The second option, which I’m interested in, is to weld restored centers into new chromed rims.  In this process he restores the centers by cleaning, polishing the chrome, bead blasting and painting the colored areas.  He offers about 5 choices of paint for the centers including light and dark Argent Silver and three different gloss levels of black.  The restored centers are then welded into the new chromed rims.  One advantage of this process is that he can weld them together with whatever backspacing you want.  The rims are made in the USA by a large wheel manufacturer and chrome plated by a company in Ohio (he didn’t know the name).  These wheels are guaranteed to be straight and true, with “like new” appearance.  His third option is to take your wheels, remove and restore the centers and send the original rims out for straightening and replating.  This option is used by folks that want to maintain code markings and/or date codes for judging.  Since our 14” wheels have no markings on them, there would be no need to take this third option for the GS wheels.

Cost for the second option is $160 per wheel, plus shipping.  You can either send your wheels to him to harvest the centers for restoration, paying around $30 per wheel to ship them to him, or he will simply make them up using a stock of centers that he has, saving the cost of shipping wheels to him, and leaving the opportunity to sell your old wheels.  He said currently he could have a set completed in about 3-4 weeks.  I wouldn’t count on that timing, since he’s a retired “one man band”, and noting some of the criticism of his timing estimates.  Costs for the other options were not stated so precisely.  He said the third option cost 2-3 times that of the second ($160) option and that the first option is significantly less than the second. 

Curt’s phone number is (515) 228-0013.  Give him a call if interested.

I also reached out to Caruso Performance, a company that got high marks from posters on an Oldsmobile forum.  He responded that he can’t get the replacement chromed rims anymore due to his low volume, so he’s not restoring or reproducing wheels anymore.  The prices that were still on his site for reproduction wheels that seem to be processed identically to Curt’s were in the $260 each range.

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline GranSportSedan

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Chrome Wheel Restoration/Reproduction
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 08:57:11 AM »
Just a heads up regarding McWheels. more guys had problems with him than guys who had satisfactory results. i was one of those and finally gave up.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/78194-mcwheels-slater-iowa.html

Old April 22nd, 2014, 06:34 PM     #5 
66luvr

I'm into him for $472, will be a year soon. And I knew his reputation. He sure is a smooth talker. But all lies.

dc2x4drvr

I used Curt years ago, he's slow and the rims aren't always true..Rally America and Wheelsmith are good wheel places.

dschelat

More calls...no response. Anybody tried pursuing him through local sheriff's office/district attorney? Too bad he's able to keep pulling victims in. 

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 09:00:46 AM by GranSportSedan »
Bob
1966 Special Deluxe
1941 Buick Sedanette
2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel

Offline Robk

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 10:11:07 AM »
I can't say that I technically could "vouch" for him.   All I can say is that he has done three full sets for me and never had my wheels for longer than three to four weeks.  All have been straight and one set was on my car when I got my senior gold.  I guess it's like any other private small vender.

Rob
65 Gran Sport Convertible 4 Speed

Offline GranSportSedan

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 02:02:39 PM »
A few folks have actually had to have the local Sheriff pay him a visit.. far more horror stories out there than good stories..  it appears if you are local to him you have a much better chance of a good outcome. just giving a heads up.
Bob
1966 Special Deluxe
1941 Buick Sedanette
2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 05:48:26 PM »
Glad I love Cragars on these cars!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 08:45:45 PM »
I appreciate the comments and feedback on McWheels.  I'm not surprised by bad reputation after reading the Oldsmobile forum thread; it appears your mileage may vary. 

So here's my list of reproduction wheel availability as of research today.

Stockton Wheel Service: $385/wheel
Coker Tire: $212/wheel
Vintiques: $210/wheel
McWheels: $160/wheel
Caruso Performance: Not Available
Vintiques: Not Available
Rally America: Not Available

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 09:31:20 PM »
Chuck ,   
Don,t  forget about  ( midnight auto )  cost  = risk of getting shot .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 06:34:33 AM »
Chuck,

Wheel Vintiques is more than likely the manufacturer of the Coker wheels. Summit Racing sells the 57 Series Buick style wheel in several widths and diameters with free shipping.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/wheel-vintiques/product-line/wheel-vintiques-57-series-buick-style-chrome-with-black-powdercoated-slot-wheels?autoview=SKU&ibanner=SREPD5

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60