Author Topic: "New and improved" arm rest pads to be reproduced  (Read 1510 times)

Offline BuickGS65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 1965 Buick Enthusiast
    • REPRODUCTION LENSES & GASKETS
"New and improved" arm rest pads to be reproduced
« on: September 18, 2008, 07:45:37 PM »
Several years ago reproduction arm rest pads were available. They were made by SuperCar.com and sold by places such as CARS Inc. However they are currently unavailable, so I contacted the manufacturer.

Here is an email excerpt from Supercar.com

Hi Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to email me about my '64-'67 Buick Skylark/GS arm rest pads. Sorry this took a few days, I've been gone for the Labor Day weekend.

The bad news is there are currently no more of them left. I stopped making them in 2001 because they weren't profitible for me due to low sales (they are used on few models), and the fact that they are expensive and hard to make (require 3 times the usual materials plus custom stamped metal inserts, among other things).

The good news is I've begun the process of reproducing them again. This unfortunately requires me to make a substantial new investment, because I can't use my original mold and have no more metal inserts. We are currently working on the new mold, and are having new metals stamped. I'm not sure how long all that will take, but as soon as we're finished and I can confirm quality and fit, I'll start selling them again. They'll be Made in the USA as before, but the quality should be even better due to the new mold and the fact that I'm using NOS quality original pads to make the mold with. As a result, they'll have to sell for more than before, will be an excellent product for Buick enthusiasts. I'll be glad to let you know when they're ready, and will want to inform the Buick community in whatever ways will work best.

Thanks again,

Ron

SuperCar Specialty
Super Specialty Companies
supercar@supercar.com
Dan
BuickGS65 at   gmail.com
1965 Buick Skylark Gran Sport ('66 Q-Jet, 2004r)
1965 Buick Skylark (300 4v, 2004r, family owned since '78)
1965 Buick Skylark (special order survivor)
REPRODUCTION '64 & '65 LENSES & GASKETS <-- click link</a

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
Re: "New and improved" arm rest pads to be reproduced
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 04:11:19 AM »
Excellent work Dan!

Are you sure you don't want to go into the Buick parts biz?  You seem to have a knack for getting these project started.

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 09:43:26 AM »
Dan,

Please keep us updated on the progress of the armrest pads. I need a set!
I have a few originals, but the condition of them is marginal in a restored car.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 10:36:40 PM »
That's good news! I need a few sets!
I have a 1999 CARS catalog that lists these fro $99 a pair. So these are going to be more...

Same 1999 Catalog had consolette lid pads for $79. I wonder what the history is on those...I didn't think they were available these days?
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 09:12:19 AM »
I inquired as to the status of the project and got this reply:

>>>>Thanks for checking in.

I'd love to make the 64-67 Skylark pads if I could somehow make them without losing money, but when I last checked, I couldn't. Low demand and high cost makes it very difficult to break even. The last time I estimated them a 1000 piece minimum run was necessary due to high tooling costs, they are complicated and require metal cores and 7 times the materials that a pair of 68-72 style pads takes.

With that said, how many pairs do you think the guys in the Buick club and forum(s) would commit to buying, for somewhere between $80-$100 per pair?
Ron<<<<<<

I spoke to one of the owners of CARS the other day. Told me they were good sellers and would like to offer them once again. I'll forward to info to CARS and hope for the best.

Do the rest of you think there is a market for 500 pairs at that price?

Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal