Author Topic: searching for template 1965 skylark 300 4speed tunnel cut out for hump  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Robert V

• Crazy about Buick!
Hello,
4 speed conversion is finally gonna happen.

But first:
Any forum members with a 1965 300 4 speed?
I'd like some assistance, measurements for my shifter cutout.
I have purchased the correct tunnel hump hole.
I now want to be careful before I make the cut into the floor.
A template or good measurements would be greatly appreciated.
There may be a slight difference in the hole placement if GS 401 motor 4 speed car?
Thanks,
Robert

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
I did that once..... traced an original cutout for a template, transferred it to the new car and cut it out. I ended up with a weird sized hole that was larger than necessary.
The original cutouts were crudely done. You would be better off just installing the trans without shifter handle, then cutting a 'just right' sized hole. I't make for a nicer install.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline BuickGS65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 1965 Buick Enthusiast
    • REPRODUCTION LENSES & GASKETS
Dan
BuickGS65 at   gmail.com
1965 Buick Skylark Gran Sport ('66 Q-Jet, 2004r)
1965 Buick Skylark (300 4v, 2004r, family owned since '78)
1965 Buick Skylark (special order survivor)
REPRODUCTION '64 & '65 LENSES & GASKETS <-- click link</a

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
Hi,

Which type hump are you installing, 64/65 1st style consolette, or the 2nd style consolette/ no console or 66 Chevy hump which is what most use in the Grand Sports.

Also what trans are you installing as there are 2 different length transmissions, and at least 3 shifter locations.

T-10 early 27 spline output, note there is at least 2 tailhousing 1 has 1 pattern the other or GS tail has 2 mounting patterns, this trans is the same in overall length as a early Muncie's,  M20/M21/M22

Later 71 and newer Super T-10, 32 spline output, is longer and similar in lenght to Muncies of the same time frame.

Your best bet is to install the trans with the shifter in netural, minus the handle and mark the underside of the tunnel, then center  the tunnel panel around it, I used sheet metal screws to attach the hump, as later shifters have a bolt on handle ans if you weld it in place you can't remove without dropping the trans or at least that is the case with my car.

Either way start off with a small hole once you get the shifter and handle to go thru the gears mark the floor and do your final cut, it will look nicer than the factory holes that were cut.

Also do checkout that link, lots of good information.

Regards,

Jim

1965 Skylark post car (65 GS frame 401/4-speed, 2x4's)
1964 Skylark (future 430 stick)
1965 Special 4 door 300 4speed
1964 Special 2 door (future, GS 401 3 speed stick)

Offline Robert V

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks for all the reply's
I will mock up with trans in place and mark center from actual shifter.
Here are some pictures of trans, shifter and tunnel hump I will be using.
BW T-10 1B from 12/3/64

Thanks to all,
Robert
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 09:14:34 PM by Robert V »

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
That is the correct style hump that my 65 used and I believe you will find that it really only fits in one spot. My original one was all hacked up from someone putting in a vertical gate shifter,but when I got the replacement hump(same as yours) it fit right into place. As stated the original hole was very large and looked like a kid with a set of torches cut them. You can get away with a rough hole just by putting the hump where it fits the floor and cutting a small center hole. That way once you bolt the tranny and shifter in place you can just die grind it as big as you want and then weld the hump in place.

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
The opening of that hump may need a little adjustment to clear the Hurst shifter. It's a minor issue.
Looks like you are all set!
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal