Author Topic: 65 Skylark/GS tail light divider bars  (Read 727 times)

Offline BuckeyeBuicks

• Buick Nut
65 Skylark/GS tail light divider bars
« on: April 15, 2018, 08:33:20 PM »
I know this has been discussed before, just thought there may be some updates. I finally came up with a pretty good pair of tail lights but like every one else my divider bars are pitted pretty bad. Can some one give me a roundabout cost of re-chroming these four pieces? Is there DIY alternative that has been used that does not look too much like a four year old done it? I will bite the bullet and have them re-chromed if I have to, just wanted to ask in case there might be a hot tip I have not heard about.
 Thanks,  Mike

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 Skylark/GS tail light divider bars
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 09:14:17 PM »
Mike  ,   It will vary on how pitted they are . I just had all 4 of mine done and I believe it cost me about 80.00 per bar . So about 320 bucks .
The chrome plating shop i,m using is,nt cheap so there may be better deals out there .
Best to find center bars with the least amount of pitting as possible .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 10:05:54 PM »
    Hi Mike , Some of the other guys can give you an idea on how much the bars cost to re-chrome, what i do know that the prices of chrome plating tripled since 2001. I just sent out a check for $ 1,400 for 2 headlight bezels, two fender birds, and 1 mirror bracket. Granted its a top notch company that i have used before so it was not a surprise to me. But when you tell a non car hobby person they think you are crazy.  Since I'm doing the restoration my self i do try other things to see how it will look & if it can save me dollars that i can put towards other parts i need to buy.
    Three years ago i pulled a set of taillight bars out of my parts collection and like everyone else they were badly pitted and i knew they would be costly to chrome. so i had an idea, i put 2 pieces into the blast cabinet and gave them a good cleaning, then i wet sanded the sharp edges off blasted them again then made a jig out of scrap steel so 1 bar could be bolted down onto the jig, then i bolted the jig onto my vice. I went to my auto body supply and picked up a can of polyester resin. mixed it up a small batch with hardener applied a very lite coat to the bar with a acid brush, then let it dry over night. Then sanded it smooth and repeated the process till all the pit holes are gone. I let the resin cure for a week. then gave it a prime coat then a light cleaning with a Scotch Brite pad then several coats of high gloss aluminium paint. Its not a chrome finish, but the pits are gone and it looks good.
     To see how it will stand up to heat & cold it's been on a shelf in my non-heated garage ever since, and i check them every spring. So far no cracks.. The supplies should not cost more than $20.   I plan on putting these on the GS after the paint goes on and i get it on the road. When i have the extra cash i will have a set plated...
  If anyone wants to see how they look let me know and i can take some photos and post them.

Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline BuckeyeBuicks

• Buick Nut
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 10:45:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply Tony. The procedure you used is some thing like I had in mind to try, it sounds like it would look pretty good until I can afford the re-chroming. I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on the divider bars right now when so many other things are needed that are way more important. Being retired is great but the pay checks are not nearly what they used to be while working!
  Thanks again, Mike