Author Topic: frame back from his dip  (Read 1203 times)

Offline 66GSconv.

• Buick Nut
frame back from his dip
« on: November 12, 2009, 07:13:36 PM »
I got the frame back on wendsday and took it back to the shop that was going to prep it for me.He's already move the transmission mount pads back for me.When he did that he told me it would be about $650-750 to do the work.Now keep in mind there is no more to fix on the frame now than there was before the dip.He called me last night to tell me that now he thinks it will cost $1500-1700,I guess he thinks he has me over a barrel.Can't wait to pull up with the trailer and take the job off his dinner plate.since I started this resto.well there seems to be curse on it.I think the next step is to get a priest to do a exorcist on this project.

I would like to thank all of  the VETS on this site for their service to are country and god bless all of you.
greg

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: frame back from his dip
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 10:54:50 AM »
What exactly is he doing to the frame for that price? Painting it too?
You could get it powdercoated for approx $600. Painting it is actually more work so may cost more.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 12:36:56 PM »
I had my frame and several suspension parts, media blasted and powder coated for $600.  They came out perfect. The only way to go.

John Egel

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 11:27:02 AM »
Only two downsides I've heard about powdercoating is that it normally does not get inside the frame like paint does and once it's been chipped, it can be hard to find a paint to match for touching it up.

Personally I think that either way is far better than what the factory did and it comes down to personal and check book choice.    :confused3:

Powder coating sure does look nice though!   :evil6:

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline 66GSconv.

• Buick Nut
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 09:57:54 PM »
Its been A while since I've updated this post as well but I took the frame from the 1st. guy and place it in the hands of a really good fabricator he won the top fabricator award at the mopar national his name is mike roth some of you may have heard of him his company is called MRII.By the time he was finished with the frame,well it was amazing you could not see anything just a work of art.he box end the upper and lower trailing arms again perfect.The frame is now powdercoated just waiting for the weather to break to go and pick it, all of the a-arms are also now powdercoated and all the bushing (energy suspension) are also in.Now this is where the fun starts!!!
greg

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 12:50:22 PM »
Did you say that he boxed in parts of the frame?

The reason I ask is because I have a spotless Skylark frame that I've considered having boxed in to meet the GS frame specs however I don't know if the cost of doing it justifies having it done.

If you don't mind me asking, if he's boxing the frame in, what is he charging you for this and the other work.

We don't live that far apart and if this seems like a cost effective solution, I may use him myself for my frame.

Thanks,

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline 66GSconv.

• Buick Nut
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 06:39:41 PM »
chairs, this guy is like butter not enough ooooooooooooooos in smooth.I went to pick up my a-arms yesterday and as I walk into the shop there were (2) new dodge challengers that was brought in from Detroit through  jack roush they were drag pack cars and they had the fiber hoods on them that look like the 440-6 TA back in the early 70's.One was for a guy in Utah the other for a guy in New York and a third one was on its way.Mike told me that this cars came only with motors so he was putting the trans and rear end in  it and tying it all together he is also putting in roll cages. the first time to his shop he has a ,looks like early 60s dodge you know the ones that say Ram Charger on them. I ask him what barn he found this thing in.He said it was fake he had some guy paint the graphics on it and then distressed the paint and put this rub on the hole car to give it a patina finsh he has a hemi for it with a hilborn intake  that he has converted into fuel injection. some guy called him and said that he heard that he had one of this old ram chargers he told the guy what it was  and now the he is getting paid to bring the car to the Detroit auto show.and he only box my rear trailing arms upper and lowers for $180.00 and they are nice I've seen some on ebay that the weld was like a high school auto class did them this you can hardly see the welds and on the upper you can't, hope this helps. oh by the way I've seen some of his cars are featured@the mecum auctions
greg

Offline GSDavid

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 12:41:00 AM »
not enough ooooooooooooooos in smooth.

You're an old fan of MASH aren't you!

Offline 66GSconv.

• Buick Nut
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 07:23:20 PM »
Tell you the truth I'm, don't laugh but I like a nice bombay sapphire martine. also got my frame back from the powder coat  guy. looks great a lot of it is like a mirror but there are places that the pitting is just to hard to cover up and a lot of those places will be covered up once the body is back on,over all very happy with the decision to powder coat.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:11:54 PM by 66GSconv. »
greg