Author Topic: Need to remove the In dash clock for rebuild???  (Read 313 times)

Offline nailr65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 65GS 4 speed ragtop
Need to remove the In dash clock for rebuild???
« on: March 22, 2018, 02:27:01 PM »
How do I remove the set knob on the in dash clock? 

Thank you Dave
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 02:34:36 PM by nailr65 »
now wouldn't you rather have a Buick

65' GS vert, 4 speed

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Need to remove the In dash clock for rebuild???
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 03:04:46 PM »

Thank you Dave

Carefully pull  the stem out as far as it goes and then squeeze the exposed shaft with needle nose pliers. There should be indentations or flat spots on the shaft to facilitate this. Then twist the knob counterclockwise to remove. Pulling slowly on the knob so as to not break it is the key.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline nailr65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 65GS 4 speed ragtop
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 03:12:27 PM »
Thanks Dan, worked like a charm!

65' GS vert, 4 speed

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 03:45:09 PM »

nailr65,

Many times these clocks can be cleaned and go back into service.  I have done it to more then one and gotten many years out of them again.

Now that you have it out, the back cover will need t be removed. Start by removing the terminal that the power wire attached to. It is held on with a nut. Under the terminal is a small internal star washer, don't loose it. At the back of the face where the cover meets it , are four tabs. These need to be pulled away enough to remove the cover. Be very, very careful , they can break off easily. The tabs will be bent back in place to hold the clock together again.
Once you have the back cover off , the clock internals are exposed.  Typically the primary issue is that the points have gotten burned.  I file the points clean with a points file. An emery board for filing your nails will do the trick too. You can check the clock by opening the points about 3/8 inch and see if it will run. Normally they do. Sometimes a little burst of air to remove dust and a little WD 40 will help
I test run the clock before reassembly by letting it run for a few hours off a 12 volt battery using a pair of jumper wires. That metal loop that goes around the power terminal is the ground.  Be careful to not short the power to the ground.  That will instantly burn the electro-magnet out.
 If you are satisfied that the repairs have worked, reassemble and install.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline gngeorge

• Buick Nut
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 10:29:28 AM »

Thank you Dave

Carefully pull  the stem out as far as it goes and then squeeze the exposed shaft with needle nose pliers. There should be indentations or flat spots on the shaft to facilitate this. Then twist the knob counterclockwise to remove. Pulling slowly on the knob so as to not break it is the key.

Dan
so you are saying to put the needle nose pliers on the flat spot or the round spot?

Offline nailr65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 65GS 4 speed ragtop
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 01:23:43 PM »
Preferably the flat spots. You just need a little pressure and the knob will screw off.

65' GS vert, 4 speed

Offline gngeorge

• Buick Nut
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 06:47:50 PM »

Thank you Dave

Dan
so you are saying to put the needle nose pliers on the flat spot or the round spot?
thanks, I always wondered how that came off....got to change my clock soon...bought one on ebay 5 years ago