Author Topic: Using 303 Protectant in the engine bay.  (Read 273 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Using 303 Protectant in the engine bay.
« on: March 17, 2018, 04:10:23 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers,

I suppose most of you are familiar with 303 Protectant and it's possible uses for the interior of your car:

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-aerospace-protectant/

A while back, I came across this blog entry suggesting that 303 Protectant could be used on tires and inside the engine bay:

https://www.coolridesonline.net/news-blog/protecting-your-veichles-tires-and-engine-using-303-aerospace-protectant/

I wasn't too impressed with the idea of using 303 on tires.  I have much nicer products for protecting tires.  However, if you scroll down you'll see the fellow's scheme for protecting the engine bay.  To quote from the article:

"There are many ways that people recommend to do it, such as applying the 303® Aerospace Protectant and letting it sit. After a period of time they wipe it off. Instead, I evenly doused my engine bay with a degreaser to get rid of unwanted grime. Then, I hosed it off with water. Afterwards, I applied the 303 Aerospace Protectant evenly over the whole engine bay. I hosed it off and let it sit then as I washed my car."

I needed to clean the engine bay of my trusty wagon.  Since there is no engine I had easy access.  After cleaning it, I decided to try 303 Protectant on engine bay paint.  Since I had easy access, I decided to apply it and wipe off.  It seemed to increase the sheen just a bit and it clearly was leaving some sort of a layer that should repel dirt, grease, and grim.  As the fellow points out this is a water-based product, so it doesn't leave a greasy residue that could attract dust.

I assume one should be a bit cautious using this product.  For example, don't use it until the engine bay paint has fully cured.  Still, for a car that is in service, trying his technique of spraying 303, allowing it to sit there for a bit of time and then washing it off, sure is about as easy as it gets.  If it does provide some additional protection, it seems worth the small additional effort.

So one more potential way to keep our 4-wheeled "loved ones"  :love4: looking great!    :glasses9:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14: