Author Topic: Down memory lane at the local locksmith.  (Read 102 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Down memory lane at the local locksmith.
« on: March 16, 2018, 07:15:06 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers,

As some of you may remember, about 18 months ago I discovered to my horror that I didn't have the right gas cap for my trusty wagon.  Here is the thread describing that drama . . . .

http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=3179.msg21660#msg21660

After a lot of searching, I sadly concluded that nobody made a reproduction cap that fit 1965 wagons.  Since I was down to NOS, I splurged and bought a beautiful chrome plated locking cap.  It came with 2 keys, but I have 3 sets of keys for my trusty wagon.  The third set is a retired leather key fob with a Tri-Shield emblem which I had used for around 30 years and give that key set to repair shops.  So I needed to make a copy of the gas cap key.  I tried my favorite hardware store, but they looked the situation over and concluded they didn't have a blank that would work.  Instead they sent me to our local locksmith Bomac's which has been around since 1947:

https://www.bomacslocksmiths.com/

I showed the employee the OEM key and cap and told him he might have a bit of a challenge since it was a 1965 cap.  However, in a flash he had a blank and in less than a minute he had cut the key and it fit perfectly the gas cap!  All this cost me $3 and it took longer to do the credit card transaction than it took to make the key!

When I had look at the key, I realized why the fellow found the job so quick and easy.  Here is the front of the keys:

It isn't quite as easy to see, but the blank has the word "Fuel" stamped in it.  Bomac had a correct blank for a locking gas cap key.  It is clearly modernized for I presume diesel, but it is the real deal.  The reason why it is the real deal can be seen on the back of the keys:

Both the 1965 original and the modern blank were made by the same company: Ilco.  They are still in the business of making automobile key systems (among other things:)

http://www.ilco.us/

I had thought about searching for an NOS key blank.  I never thought getting a correct key was as easy as a stop at our local locksmith!

Sometimes you find nostalgia in the most unexpected places!  :hello2:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Down memory lane at the local locksmith.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 09:10:23 PM »

The small business comes through again.  :headbang:

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 09:31:46 PM »
Edouard, and Registry members.. it's a great feeling when you go out to do something that you think may be a problem and it all works out without a fuss and you did not even leave your Neiborhood or your area.
   I try to shop locally for everything, I'm not a fan of big box stores at all. There is just no personal service. When I walk into my local old Hardware store that's been in business in the same building for 122 years everyone knows my name. The staff gets me what I need and I'm out, not wasting time looking for someone to help me in isle 62 and then waiting on the self service line for 20 minutes just to find out that the barcode is missing !! :help: In my area we also have a locksmith business that's been there post WW2 and they have everything related to locks, keys & automotive glass too. One stop shopping for our vintage vehicles.
    I'm very glad that you found someone locally that was able to help you. There are talented people out in our areas, we just have to find them.. :hello:

Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 03:54:26 PM »
Edouard,

It's these sort of successful projects that are most fulfilling.
I had my original until I drove off without It one day.

What was your original engine? And is this cap venting or not.
My car is a/c and all this has perplexed me from day one.

Anyway, congrats on this.  :occasion14:

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Lost the gas cap - LONG ago! (Re: Down memory lane)
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 04:10:13 PM »
Hi Iain and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

It's these sort of successful projects that are most fulfilling.
I had my original until I drove off without It one day.

As far as I can remember, we had a poorly fitting gas cap on my wagon - however, I never found out why.  When I ran into this gas cap crisis, I realized that the cap on the car was some sort of later year reproduction and it didn't fit.  I suppose that's lucky since it also wasn't a vented type.  A tight-fitting unvented cap could have destroyed the car!

So just chalk it up as one of those classic car problems that could have started as early as 1968 and didn't get solved until 2016!

What was your original engine?
My car is a/c and all this has perplexed me from day one.

Our wagon had the standard Buick 300 cid V-8 as most wagons of the day.  She didn't have power brakes or air conditioning.  The poor engine had been rebuilt twice but in neither case was the work done very well.  It was the failure of the second rebuild in 2011 (after only a decade and very few miles,) that I started search Buick forums for some good advice.  Eventually I did find some great advice but alas only after getting some horrible advice. 

Such are da' conditions that prevail. . . .

Cheers, Edouard