Author Topic: Sound deadening  (Read 257 times)

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
Sound deadening
« on: March 04, 2018, 04:45:36 PM »
This is something in which the options are endless.
I'm going to simplify it here.
Do you like/use for inside door panels

1. Dynamat
2. Boom mat
4. Something else (MLV, wood, etc)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
On my "to-do" list (Re: Sound deadening)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 10:09:01 PM »
Dear Iain and mid-60s Buick owners who like quiet, . . .

This is something in which the options are endless.
I'm going to simplify it here.
Do you like/use for inside door panels

1. Dynamat

I haven't even started on this.  I had the firewall coated with Dynamat and that really does help.  You can buy custom made panels that will fit correctly.  I need to look into this.  At surface street speeds my trusty wagon isn't too noisy but even in overdrive on the freeway there is a lot of noise coming from the doors.  I don't know if these products are the answer, but at the moment driving on the freeway isn't much fun.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Sound deadening
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 05:22:30 PM »
driving on the freeway isn't much fun.

Exactly. Since I have more rear panel removed dealing with the quarter glass, there's no better time than now.

I don't mind noise to much but it does irritate me even being someone with limited hearing capacity.
Then when I add my female passenger - well let's say it isn't enjoyable.

Originally I don't think there was anything. And you don't have to cover every square inch. I think it's around 80% coverage.

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 05:58:28 PM »
I used Dynamat on my 57 Dodge, worked well. It can get spendy though.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Harder than I thought. (Re: Sound deadening)
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 06:34:40 PM »
Dear Iain, Jim, and mid-60s Buick caregivers who like peace and quiet,

I don't mind noise to much but it does irritate me even being someone with limited hearing capacity.

. . . . .

Originally I don't think there was anything. And you don't have to cover every square inch. I think it's around 80% coverage.

I used Dynamat on my 57 Dodge, worked well. It can get spendy though.

I thought somebody made pre-cut panels like Dynamat which could be easily installed in the doors.  Alas a quick check of OPGI and Year-One comes up empty.  You can buy generic products, but I'm not sure how you would secure it.  The other things to keep in mind about noise from the doors is it could be wind noise coming from work out seals.  I've only gotten as far as replacing the door to body seals on my wagon so that she is more water-tight.  I haven't gotten around to the window seals.  They do seem to generate a lot of wind noise because there are worn.

Oh well, . . . . . always - something - to do on a classic car!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 08:22:11 PM »
Dynamat is a little more expensive. I believe they were first on the scene.
Personally, I'm done with all the 'other' and 'substitutes'. Will go DM this time. Don't need much for just doors. On evilbay a door kit is around 50 bucks.

Weatherstripping: I've found that to be one of the more enjoyable projects. Something you can (mostly) pull up a roller seat and just enjoy the time with your baby. 1/4 vent windows are a different animal.

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 08:51:20 PM »
  Hi everyone, I used a product called Thermo- Guard on many of the Buicks I've worked on thru the years. Its great for the floors and the rear seat trunk divider, it cuts down on the noise & heat. I used to get the roll (48x72) from JC Whitney for $53.00 & free shipping when they have a sale. I just checked and they don't sell it any more. But Summit Racing sells it for $ 60 a roll. For the doors I usually give them a good cleaning and spray or brush on several layers of undercoating. You could also cover the inside of the doors (in back of the door panel) with a heavy type of tarpaper that would absorb some of the noise coming thru, that was an idea I had for my current 65GS project since they don't make the paper for the pillar coupe doors ....       
                                                                                                      Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Definitely evolving technology. (Re: Sound deadening)
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 10:54:18 AM »
Dear Iain, Tony, and mid-60s Buick fans of quiet,

Dynamat is a little more expensive. I believe they were first on the scene.
Personally, I'm done with all the 'other' and 'substitutes'. Will go DM this time. Don't need much for just doors. On evilbay a door kit is around 50 bucks.

Hi everyone, I used a product called Thermo- Guard on many of the Buicks I've worked on thru the years.
. . . .

Insulation is clearly an area where manufacturers are developing new and better products.  The December 2017 issue of Car Craft had a article featuring products from Heat Shield Products:

http://www.heatshieldProducts.com

So it is worth doing some research on which product does the best job for your application.

Iain, would have a link the door kit on eBay that you found by chance?  I'm curious.

Weatherstripping: I've found that to be one of the more enjoyable projects. Something you can (mostly) pull up a roller seat and just enjoy the time with your baby. 1/4 vent windows are a different animal.

Well that's somewhat reassuring.  Now if I could free up enough time to take on such a project.

Cheers, Edouard