Author Topic: Body mounts  (Read 133 times)

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
Body mounts
« on: February 20, 2018, 03:39:38 PM »
My body mounts are still original. They are mushroomed and cracked as one might imagine.
I really just drive my Skylark. I don't race it. Will I run into some problems if I don't do anything?
It for sure is something I would need a mechanic to do for me.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Depends on the precise condition (Re: Body mounts)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 09:54:48 PM »
Dear Iain and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

My body mounts are still original. They are mushroomed and cracked as one might imagine.
I really just drive my Skylark. I don't race it. Will I run into some problems if I don't do anything?
It for sure is something I would need a mechanic to do for me.

Unfortunately it depends exactly on how worn they are.  My wagon is obviously the same age with the same body original body mounts.  I haven't checked them but I would have expected the "swell fellows" who have been doing the mechanical restoration would have recommended to replace them if they were needed.  We needed to replace them on our 1976 Buick Skylark after the car was only about 20 years old - so it does happen.  However, in 1965 Buick seemed to have used some really good quality parts in the body mounts.  If Ruthy was kept indoors most of the time, perhaps they don't need replacing right now.

I assume it would be a nightmare to try to photograph them, so is there a local mechanic in the area that you could trust?  Is there anyone with a specialty for classic cars and isn't simply trying to make a buck?  You need an honest opinion from someone with experience.

Sorry, that is all the advice I can offer.

Edouard

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Body mounts
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 11:07:29 PM »
x2.  If they are still in place it's not absolutely necessary to replace them. If there is the usual corrosion on the car, the mount bolts can be very difficult and time consuming to remove.

The body mount support on the trunk floor, just behind the rear wheels, is one of the first areas to rust out, take a look.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 09:34:36 AM »
x3.....and if the rear ones that Walt is speaking of look good....You probably need not look further. Mine all looked great except the rears when I took it apart. If your rear steel cages are nice where the body mounts,you are in better shape than most of the cars out there.

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 02:15:08 PM »
Phew! I was afraid of getting a 'you're doomed' answer.
Especially the 'swelltering heat of Ca, eh Edouard?