Author Topic: Windshield Channel Repair  (Read 281 times)

Offline gearhead46

• Crazy about Buick!
Windshield Channel Repair
« on: February 01, 2018, 02:04:38 PM »
My car is the coupe body style. Each time I unearth something, something else pops up needing repair or replacing. I got sold a bill of goods and the car was not as presented and, frankly, a mess.   Don't get me started on that!!!

My front and rear windshields did not fit right, so I had a glass guy remove them to try to reset them.  What I found was that there was severe rust all along the top of the front windshield and small holes everywhere else.  Most I can cut round slugs and weld them in place, but the top of the front was pretty much completely gone.

I think I saw on the Buick GS group on Facebook that  Belden Speed and Engineering makes those pieces.  I had a few very nice conversations with Dane Belden, who was just in the finishing stages of pieces for the 64/65 A body cars.  I ordered the front pieces from them and they just came in the mail today.

Interesting how they did it. The channel is an L shaped channel that plug welds to the bottom ledge and then welds to the top lip at the roof line.  The car is in the unheated side of the garage and it is too cold to do much right now.  Probably another couple of weeks before I can get serious about it.

Just dropping it in the opening, it appears to be the correct match.  I think it will work.  I'll post pictures as I go along and keep a running log of how it works out.  Also, I am the editor of our local Buick club newsletter (the Gateway Gazette).  I plan to do a write-up in an upcoming issue showing how the project works.  If you are interested, drop me a PM and I'll include you in the distribution of the newsletter.
Professor Gearhead
65 Gran Sport Sport Coupe
57 Buick Special 2 dr Hardtop
57 Buick Roadmaster Convertible

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Windshield Channel Repair
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 03:49:28 PM »

Given these are 50+ years old, you can run into many hurdles.   It kind of stinks in that respect.
Please keep us informed on how the repairs go and pictures would be great too.

As for the news letter, maybe post the article here.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division