Author Topic: Window Felts  (Read 790 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Window Felts
« on: January 26, 2018, 08:21:00 AM »
So, I understand that the window felts in the GS (or all Skylarks?) had the bead that shows on top painted black.  And I've confirmed that on my red convertible.  Does anyone make these in black?  All I've been able to find are felts with chrome beads.  I think they look nice, but apparently aren't correct.  CARS told me that the Steele parts are chrome, but I'm going to call Steele today to confirm with them.  Otherwise, it seems I've run out of potential sources.

Thanks,

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Window Felts
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 09:15:20 AM »
Chuck, Glenn has done extensive research on window felt both black and chrome. In fact I think he has an honorary degree in the subject.  I'll give him a call, wake him up and ask for his thoughts..   
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 09:34:26 AM »
Thanks Kevin.  I didn't know we had a PhD in our midst!   :laughing7:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 10:23:47 AM »

Chuck

PhD, that means Piled Higher and Deeper. Correct?  I think I qualify then, I've been told I'm full of something .   :laughing7:

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 10:33:31 AM »
Me too!

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline vinnie

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 12:13:15 PM »
Sorry I am late to the party. Don't know about the PHD on the subject, but did spend a lot of time looking for sweeps.  My car had a chrome bead on the sweeps and i felt that they were correct. Did not check other cars to compare. Correct Steele sells the chrome and Cars had the black. They were supplied by Repop. I have a set of the black on hand if needed.  Was told by Repop that they only made them in black. Which ones are correct, I don't know. And to correct Rollarounds statement, I had been up for several hours when he called..
Glenn V
1965 Skylark GS Hardtop  2017 BCA Senior Gold
2019 enclave
GSCA 2168
BCA 37942
AACA 915140

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 12:56:15 PM »
Thanks for the info Glenn.  CARS told me that the Repops and Steele felts both had chrome beads.  He also checked with PUI and was told there's are chrome.  So, I'm stumped on where to find black ones.  I'll definitely be calling.....

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Well, if you have to ask! (Was: Window Felts)
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 05:11:16 PM »
Dear Chuck, Kevin, Loren, Glenn, and mid-60s Buick owners (and even Buicks) who have participated in higher education,

Well yes, there is a bone fide PhD in our midst.  I received my PhD from the Special Group in Science and Math Education at U.C. Berkeley in 1995.  Here is the title page for the curious:

Not only that, my trusty wagon is even featured on a page of my dissertation.  On page 86 you'll find:

I think it is safe to say that Biquette is the only 1965 Buick Special wagon to appear on a PhD and there aren't many classic Buicks to be found in any PhDs!

Just another reason why I've been trying to bring her back to her former glory - she has had a really amazing life!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 06:20:34 PM »
Edouard - That is RAD.

I did some college myself - and thought at the time how much I liked the learning environment.

Offline vinnie

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 07:59:50 PM »
Chuck, when I ordered the felts from CARS the book listed them as chrome, but when they came they were black. Called CARS to question  and was told that they understood them to be chrome. When I talked to RePop they said that they only do black.
Glenn V
1965 Skylark GS Hardtop  2017 BCA Senior Gold
2019 enclave
GSCA 2168
BCA 37942
AACA 915140

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 07:58:07 AM »
Edouard,

After I wrote that, I thought about you had a hunch that you are a PhD and, believe me, I'm impressed.  Science and math education are extremely important for our future.  Congratulations on achieving that level of education and, if you are using that education to teach our youth, thanks for sharing your knowledge with them!   :hello2:

But a PhD in Window Fuzzies, now that's something REALLY special.  Extra Kudos to Vinnie!!!   :headbang:

Have a great weekend!

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 08:01:06 AM »
Chuck, when I ordered the felts from CARS the book listed them as chrome, but when they came they were black. Called CARS to question  and was told that they understood them to be chrome. When I talked to RePop they said that they only do black.

Glenn, you're giving me hope.  I called CARS yesterday and asked them to confirm whether the beads on the felts are chrome or black.  Told him that some of my friends have found the Repops felts to have black beads.  He is going to call Repops to confirm.  Hopefully, I'll hear from him on Monday.

Now, even if he tells me that Repops says they are chrome, I might just order them and see what comes.....

:cheers2:

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 08:58:45 AM »
Chuck ,  I guess I was,t even aware that they came in black . I ordered mine from Steele but they came from repops and have the chrome bead .
I didn't see an option for black or chrome .
Did I ever mention anything to you about my PHD ( Parts Hoarders Disorder ) . it gets more elaborate with every swapmeet .   :evil6:
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 09:03:28 AM »
Hey John,

I've been told by authoritative sources (you know them also) that the window felt steel beads should be black.  To confirm, I looked at my red Steve Shuman car that I'm sure has original felts and they are black.  I also looked at the felts from our Arkansas parts car and they were black.  So I'm confident in the originality of the black beads.  Now I just have to find some!

No, I'd not heard about PHD before.  Thanks for the warning!   :laughing7:  I might be an "early onset" candidate!

Chuck
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 09:06:32 AM by cwmcobra »

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline gearhead46

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 09:30:03 AM »
I have a more basic question. The Steele catalog shows the window felt kit that does not have the chrome (stainless) trim on the top of the door. Not sure what you call that. My car is a the coupe and does indeed have the bright work on top.  I am unsure as to what to get here. 

My window motor stopped working so I need to get that window mechanism out (somehow without cutting off a finger).  I plan to buy a correct motor from OPGI than finish it off with the proper window channels and felts. 

Can someone shed some light on my situation?  What do I need to get?  My car has been through hell and back before I bought it, so pretty much every bit of rubber and felt that  I haven't already replaced will need updating.
Professor Gearhead
65 Gran Sport Sport Coupe
57 Buick Special 2 dr Hardtop
57 Buick Roadmaster Convertible