Author Topic: Childhood road trip nostalgia on Hemmings blog.  (Read 139 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Childhood road trip nostalgia on Hemmings blog.
« on: January 22, 2018, 01:52:04 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick owners who cruise down memory lane,

There is a cute posting on the Hemmings blog about a line of vending machine toys that could be bought at rest stops turning the 1950s:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/01/19/the-childhood-joy-of-mechanical-servants/

As the author Jim O'Clair writes:

"I can remember commuting from Albany, New York, to Springfield, Massachusetts, every Thanksgiving as a child and traveling the NYS Thruway and the Massachusetts Turnpike to get there.  Being part of a large family, we sat in the rear-facing third seat of our Ford Country Squire station wagon, and we knew that inevitably one of us seven kids would at some point during the trip need to use the facilities at one of the rest areas.  . . . .  In anticipation of this eventuality, my older brother and I would take a quarter or two (a week’s salary!) from our allowance, cubby-holed away in our piggy bank, or somewhere else where it could not be “borrowed” by the other, and hope that we would have to stop along the way. When we did, we would both make a mad dash for the Mechanical Servant vending machines that were prominently displayed in the lobbies of these waystations."

The rest of the article describes the toys that could be purchased in those vending machines and Jim O'Clair even managed to save a few so there are some pictures.

If you had a road-trip as part of your Thanksgiving tradition, this piece should definitely bring back some memories. . . . . .

Enjoy!   Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Hemmings waxes engine aesthetics . . . . (Re: Nostalgia)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 11:10:37 AM »
Dear 65GS.com car guys, . . . . .

There is a cute piece on the Hemming's blog about our relationships with engines:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/10/16/engine-compassion/

There is definitely nothing new in this piece, but I think we'll all recognize a bit of ourselves in the author's musings.  Enjoyable light reading.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Hemmings warming up to vintage travel trailers!?! (Re: Hemmings blog.)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 09:33:38 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick owners keeping an eye on the trends in classic vehicles,

I am known for a serious weakness for vintage travel trailers, but look what just popped up on the Hemmings blog:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/11/12/earliest-known-factory-airstream-meets-earliest-known-byam-built-curtis-wright-trailer/

On the plus side this should generate interest in insuring vintage travel trailers.  At the moment insurance is difficult to come bay.  Alas, articles like this can only raise interest and . . . . .prices!

I'd better keep my eyes open!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Photo from the 1960s (Re: Nostalgia on Hemmings blog.)
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 11:05:14 AM »
Dear mid-60s Buick owners who occasionally stroll down memory lane,

Hemmings has a particularly nostalgic photo on their blog this morning.  Here is the posting:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/11/27/little-america-wyoming-1960s/

Here is a URL to the image itself so that you'all can see it directly:

Definitely brings back memories of road trips back in the day!

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Childhood road trip nostalgia on Hemmings blog.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 05:47:25 PM »
Cool photo Edouard. Our family stopped at Little America in 1966 on the way to Los Angeles.
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.