Author Topic: Black GS convertible restoration!  (Read 1927 times)

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
Black GS convertible restoration!
« on: January 17, 2018, 09:48:50 AM »
Let the games begin! So far restored the driveshaft, A arms, coated exhaust manifolds! Would like to get the frame blasted and painted or powdered and a rolling chassis ready! Will put up pictures soon!

Offline wildcat65

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Black GS convertible restoration!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 10:06:42 AM »
Sweet - they do look good in Black.  TN
Ted Nagel         65 Skylark GS 4-speed + Wildcats + GS's

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Best of luck! (Re: Black GS convertible restoration!)
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 10:51:36 AM »
Best of luck on this restoration!!  :thumbsup:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 07:04:51 PM »
Good luck, will be following along!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 07:29:16 PM »
Looks like fun, Jon.  It'll be a beauty when finished!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 11:24:53 PM »
These are the frame blocks pay close attention to the date codes! More documentation this is a very early car! These help also authenticate that the the date codes are correct and it is a early car! They are some of the earliest GS specific parts I have seen! Once they get painted and go back on the frame the part# and date codes can't be seen!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
How early is this car? (Re: Black GS convertible restoration!)
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 09:20:47 AM »
Dear Jon and mid-60s Buick restorers of historic cars,

These are the frame blocks pay close attention to the date codes! More documentation this is a very early car! These help also authenticate that the the date codes are correct and it is a early car!

Glad that you are making progress! :thumbsup:  What do you know about when and where this car was built?

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 09:33:41 PM »
Worked on the rear end ! No pics as I didn't stop to take them! Ripped it apart, cleaned it, took it to the sand blaster, cleaned and por 15!, Going to the rebuilder tomorrow for new posi unit, bearings and setup! The transmission and torque converter is going to the rebuilder Wednesday too! Hope to get started on nailhead soon too! But might have to wait till after the first of next year!? Got all the bearings bought! Pistons will be a big expense as they will be forged! We did get a set of heads done! New nos vavles, seats,surface, etc

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Great to hear the progress! (Re: Black GS convertible restoration!)
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 01:11:19 PM »
Dear Jon and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Great to hear that you are starting on the drivetrain restoration!  Sounds like this Buick is getting plenty of luv'  :love4:

Keep up the good work!  :thumbsup:

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 02:48:48 AM »
Rear end is done! Guy who rebuilt it is 83! Been building rear ends for like 60 years! Will try and get pictures up! But not after some problems! The ring and pinion had some rust so no problem thought I had another nos one! But it turns out it wasn't correct!  :icon_scratch: So I had to locate another one! Got lucky and a guy close by had one! The transmission is another story some of the parts inside were trashed! Evidence of it's street racing days! Had to get some Parts from Loren! Should be able to getter back together then! I would start on the 425 asap to but got find the money tree! Lol
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 08:30:15 AM by gssizzler »

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 04:35:28 AM »
I harvested that same money tree last fall. The leaves are now gone and its pretty barren LOL.  I hafta count my blessings as most of my job is labor. The BADLASS has a 3:23 open which the gear is marginal with a 455, yet the cost of going up to a 3:64 is not in the cards this year. Sure would like a posi at least. What ratio did you go with?

Might have to plant a money tree grove out back, but our dirt here by the lake is pretty sandy! Get going on some pictures woodya???  Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 08:28:18 AM »
Well, started with a 3.23 which was rusty!t then I was going to use what I thought was a NOS 2.93,but ended up with a 3.08 which is what the car had original! Want more of a cruiser plus didn't want to tax the nailhead at 70-75 mph! Will be running a 300 auto setup till I can get the 425 built with a auto 300 or 400! I could also put a stick in as I have most of the GS only parts to do  it! But kind of want to go auto as my other cars are stick and I have not had a non stick GS car! Other than ones I parted out!

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 09:38:10 AM »
I wish you wouldve piped up... I have a running take out spare '64 or '65 8.2 with a 2:78 that you couldve had, drum to drum. I took it from a pal before I realized I already had a 3:23 in the car. I was gonna build a nice gear for it but I wouldve had to start from scratch... I'm kind of in limbo with the 3:23 open. My 72 455/auto has a 2:78 and thats plenty!   Bill

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 09:43:11 AM by yachtsmanbill »
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 10:58:34 AM »
Thanks looks like a 64 to me as the bushings look small in the carrier ! The 2.78 gear wouldn't have worked on the posi unit as it is a second series 2.93-3.23 unit! I wanted to keep this rear as it is a very clean housing and tubes! It is all welded up for strength and no more leaking! Hopefully! :headbang:

Offline wildcat65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 11:37:14 AM »
IMHO 3.23 is great with the 455 or nail.  The Special Wagon has 3.23- key is a torque converter that stalls @ proper rpm.
 (You know this already - just blabbing here)  Keep up the good work.
Ted Nagel         65 Skylark GS 4-speed + Wildcats + GS's