Author Topic: Rubber Weatherstrip Preferred Suppliers  (Read 739 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Rubber Weatherstrip Preferred Suppliers
« on: January 05, 2018, 03:15:53 PM »
Ready to order all the rubber weatherstrip/seals for my restoration and I'm interested in feedback on the various vendors.  The four that I'm familiar with are Steele, SoffSeal, Metro and Rubbertherightway.com.  I've had a local recommendation for Steele, with the opinion that their products are the most original and will fit the best. 

I've also installed a SoffSeal trunk seal on my other car and was very happy with it.

What's the experience of this group?  Recommendations?

A great weekend to all!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Rubber Weatherstrip Preferred Suppliers
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 03:49:26 PM »
Chuck, that sounds like progress. Have used all those vendors for various applications. Soffseal is a must for the trunk. Steele is most original in appearance, but they don’t have everything you’ll need, so a couple of suppliers will be needed.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 11:35:14 PM »
Looking for experience/opinions on the value of Steele over Metro.  It appears that the Metro stuff can be had at about half the cost of Steele.  Not MSRP, that's about the same for the two.  But I can get Metro from online discounters and the savings are huge. So should I avoid Metro, even at half the cost?  Are there any particular parts that I should be sure to get from Steele? 

Thanks for the inputs!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 08:58:50 AM »
For Steele products, check with CARS. They once advertised they sold Steele products at a discount. The website doesn't presently mention the brand of the w/s they sell, so best to call and ask.
http://www.oldbuickparts.com
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 01:01:03 PM »
Chuck,

Pretty sure I used Steele for almost everything.
Trunk weatherstrip
Door weatherstrip
Roofrail weatherstrip

Steele is the only supplier that makes the door & quarter glass seals if you have the deluxe/wide reveal mouldings
Are you going to rebuild the vent wings?

There are also lots of small rubber parts that should be sourced from different suppliers based on fit - the hood bumpers come to mind.
Did you look in the parts suppliers and sources sticky? there might be something listed there.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 01:19:14 PM »
Thanks Mark.  I'll go back and study the supplier list again.  I was just surprised that the Metro stuff can be had for literally half of the MSRPs from Steele, SoffSeal and Metro.  But I don't want to make a big mistake over a few hundred dollars!   :BangHead:

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Buick_65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 04:15:19 PM »
Thanks Mark.  I'll go back and study the supplier list again.  I was just surprised that the Metro stuff can be had for literally half of the MSRPs from Steele, SoffSeal and Metro.  But I don't want to make a big mistake over a few hundred dollars!   :BangHead:

Chuck

I did some poking and it sounds like the metro stuff doesn't hold up so good and the retaining clips tend to tear off on install.  I would probably steer clear.

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 04:45:43 PM »
Some good news.....I have confirmed that CARS claims to sell their Steele product at a 15% discount.  I'm waiting for them to send pricing for all the parts I need and will compare to the prices on the Steele site to confirm.  Stay tuned.....

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 04:46:58 PM »

Chuck

I did some poking and it sounds like the metro stuff doesn't hold up so good and the retaining clips tend to tear off on install.  I would probably steer clear.

Thanks Todd.  I don't expect this stuff to last another 50 years, but it's good to have some feedback on the relative durability of these products.

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline bobbybuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 07:15:40 PM »
I mostly bought Steele. Wing window i kept oem due to it all sucked .Some stuff i ha to go to metro because Steele didnt have it for my post car