Author Topic: 1967 GS non-powerl 4 wheel drum brakes  (Read 310 times)

Offline GreatScat1965

• Crazy about Buick!
1967 GS non-powerl 4 wheel drum brakes
« on: December 31, 2017, 05:38:14 PM »
Hi all,

First let me start with a belated Holiday greeting and a Happy New Year to all. I haven't been on the board lately. As Mark Twain once said, "rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated" I got myself into 3 other non Buick projects, but that's for another day. I'm looking for information, diagrams, anything actually. 1967 was the first your of the dual pot master cylinder if I'm correct. I cannot find any information as to weather a non-power 4 wheel drum set up Gran Sport/Skylark had a combination valve. That said if it did where was it and what does it look like. The internet is full of conflicting information. Can someone please set the record straight on this one.

Thanks all!!
Jerry :dontknow:
Jerry

Offline GreatScat1965

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 1967 GS non-powerl 4 wheel drum brakes
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 08:04:38 AM »
Hi all,

First let me start with a belated Holiday greeting and a Happy New Year to all. I haven't been on the board lately. As Mark Twain once said, "rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated" I got myself into 3 other non Buick projects, but that's for another day. I'm looking for information, diagrams, anything actually. 1967 was the first your of the dual pot master cylinder if I'm correct. I cannot find any information as to weather a non-power 4 wheel drum set up Gran Sport/Skylark had a combination valve. That said if it did where was it and what does it look like. The internet is full of conflicting information. Can someone please set the record straight on this one.

Hello all/ I was planning on posting the rebuild of my original 8.2 BOP rear and realized no one ever  replied to this post about some brake information I was looking for. so I'm throwing it back out there; as to the Diff, I will be removing the Aurburn Hi-Bias limited slip that was installed in about about 1995 by Rob at Stage 1 Automotive in Jersey. It replaced the factory posi that was giving up the ghost by then. I have a shiny new Eaton clutch type posi to install over the next week (it was a Christmas present. I'm not buying much right now since I've been down sized. LoL) and I'll let you all know how it goes. I opted fore the clutch type over the Tru-Trac mostly because that is the style I'm more familiar with although the say the Tru-Trac has a little more street manners as it works more like a Torsen than a locker.  :dontknow: :BangHead:

Thanks all!!
Jerry :dontknow:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 08:07:20 AM by GreatScat1965 »
Jerry

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 09:03:51 AM »
Hi Jerry, long time no see....what's it been, 25 years? lol!
I checked my 67 Buick service manual.... it mentions a 'distributor'. It consists of a distribution block with a built in pressure differential switch. Front and rear brake systems should have equal pressure. Front lines are 3/16" and rear is increased to 1/4" for 67-up.
Inline Tube is usually a decent source for repos.
Curious what your other projects were. I built a stroker I-6 for my Jeep Cherokee and am usually restoring/rebuilding my older Kubota tractors. And there are always house/yard/garage projects going on.
Here's a pic from the manual:
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline GreatScat1965

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 06:20:30 AM »
Wow, a blast from the past. how are you? Has it been 25 years; we'll have to fix that this summer. Thanks for the diagram. I honestly could not find that anywhere. Maybe because they are calling it a distributor valve and not a combination or proportioning valve. I'm thinking it is obsolete at best or very expensive. So if I'm understanding you correctly it isn't much different the the more garden verity found on slightly newer cars. For me, the unique part is that it is for 4 wheel drum brakes.

Projects, well, helped my son with a new fuel system on his  SS Monte. We're trying a high pressure in tank set up with a fuel log and a return regulator to run at 6 psi for his Whipplecharged 383 'street" car. I also completely wired a Manx style VW beach buggy from scratch. This is a full frame off resto that he and I have been working on for years and is almost done. Oh had the trans in and out 3 times but that;s another story. And finally for myself, I picked up a 1977 MGB Roadster. I had one as a kid so I guess it is my midlife crisis car; hell I've already got a big block muscle car....  As expected the Prince of Darkness (Joseph Lucas) had gotten to the car before I did, so another rewire. It's a clean driver out of SC with a big Crane cam and twin carbs. Lots of fun by MG standards.

I'd like to share photos but I read about the resizing for the forum. I went to the suggested website and my security suite  had a cow. I am reluctant to load it until I've heard from a few people that it is safe.

Glad we reconnected :hello2:

Fell free to contact me if anything interesting comes up. I've already put my # out for anyone who ever wants to shout at me.

Jerry
Avon OH
440-552-2195
Jerry

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 08:34:04 AM »
Jerry,

I have been using it for years.  It has been used here since Chris Horn posted it in 2009.  It can be a little clumsy at first , but once you have the hang of it, pretty straight forward.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division