Author Topic: Glass Vendors  (Read 1178 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Glass Vendors
« on: December 07, 2017, 10:30:07 AM »
Any recommendations on where to source new glass for my restoration?  Interested in your experiences.  Looking for "judged quality" with proper markings and date code.

Thanks,

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Glass Vendors
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 10:42:12 AM »
Some advertise that they will put in the date codes,but I am not sure that anyone is totally happy with the aftermarket glass. If your originals are not scratched you can polish them just like paint and make them new again. I know that I looked high and low for one replacement that was scratched and ended up replacing both door glasses so they match. I do have a few extra pieces and sometimes you can match them up if you have a bad one. The new pieces are lighter and definitely of different composition. You may be happy if you buy all new pieces,but they do not match originals as far as I have  seen.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Pilkington classics? (Re: Glass Vendors)
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:56:21 AM »
Dear Chuck, Dan,

Any recommendations on where to source new glass for my restoration?  Interested in your experiences.  Looking for "judged quality" with proper markings and date code.

I'm sure that Dan's advice is the best option if the glass can be restored.  On my wagon both the tailgate window and windshield were damaged beyond restoration.  I purchased replacement glass from Pilkington Classics:

http://www.pilkington.com/en/us/automotive/pilkington-classics

The glass panels fit perfectly, look great, and as far as I can tell have the correct tint.

I didn't ask about having the glass conform to all OEM specs but it certainly doesn't hurt to ask.  As far as I know, this outfit actually supplied the glass back in 1965.  So if anybody can do that, they should!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 11:23:24 AM »
Several GS owners have used http://www.autocityclassic.com/1964-1965-skylark-convertible/
Used them for the windshield on the convertible and am happy with it. They will date code the glass for a reasonable extra fee.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 04:22:42 PM »
Several GS owners have used http://www.autocityclassic.com/1964-1965-skylark-convertible/
Used them for the windshield on the convertible and am happy with it. They will date code the glass for a reasonable extra fee.

Dan

And they're only 25 minutes from my house .   :icon_biggrin:
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 08:07:57 PM »

Dan

That's really cool John.  Saves me the cost of shipping.  You do deliver, right???   :laughing7:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 10:30:39 PM »

Dan

That's really cool John.  Saves me the cost of shipping.  You do deliver, right???   :laughing7:

Chuck
If I wasn't so crazy busy with this house Chuck I probably would . I,m do for a road trip .
But I have to keep pluging away , the roof trusses are scheduled to go on next weekend . Then I get to take a break and work on the 65 for a few months .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 09:15:24 AM »
Ordered from Auto City Classics.  Thanks all for the recommendations!

Have a great weekend!

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100