Author Topic: From Hemmings: Buick hunting cars!  (Read 82 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
From Hemmings: Buick hunting cars!
« on: November 27, 2017, 11:09:49 AM »
Dear mid-60s Buick owners with a curiosity for history,

Hemmings has an interesting piece about an unusual category of cars: "Hunting Cars" getting their own class at the 2018 Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/11/27/hunting-cars-get-their-own-class-at-the-2018-amelia-island-concours-delegance/

One of the two cars mentioned in the article is a El Kineño, the King Ranch’s 1949 1950 Buick hunting car.  It was custom built for Built for King Ranch owner and seven-term U.S. Representative from Texas’ 14th-congressional district Richard M. Kleberg.   Since Kleberg was an extreme sportsman of the time, the car was reportedly a collaboration between Buick and GM’s Styling Section.

That's your bit of Buick trivia for today!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: From Hemmings: Buick hunting cars!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 08:43:07 PM »
That Kings Ranch edition Buick is an interesting piece of history. I remember as a kid riding from Port Mansfield,Texas towards Brownsville in a 1980 Buick Skyhawk. Both sides of the road as far as you could see for miles were part of the ranch. I heard that through all of the marriages and divorces that the property has been busted up a bit. I know that there have been many Kings Ranch edition vehicles(Ford Truck)recently,but I never heard of that Buick before. Is this the only one in existence?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 08:45:36 PM by schlepcar »

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Apparently only one Built (Re: From Hemmings: Buick hunting cars!)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 09:59:02 PM »
Dear Dan and mid-60s Buick owners with a taste for adventure,

. . . .
I know that there have been many Kings Ranch edition vehicles(Ford Truck)recently,but I never heard of that Buick before. Is this the only one in existence?

I don't know more than what the article reported but it appears only one Buick was ever made and it was a "one-off" job.  At least someone had the presence of mind to preserve it!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14: