Author Topic: Hemmings blog: mid-sized station wagons an endangered species?  (Read 1451 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Hemmings blog: mid-sized station wagons an endangered species?
« on: November 06, 2017, 11:09:45 AM »
Dear mid-60s Buick "long-roof" fans,

The Hemmings blog has another instance of their "$5000 challenge" series.  This is highlighting cars that are for sale at Hemmings that have something special about them and nonetheless are less than $5000.  This particular entry makes the claim that: "Midsize wagons and personal luxury coupes are things of the past, not to mention moderately priced sports cars that favor handling over output. How much longer will it be before the above automotive genres go the way of the dodo? Isn’t that reason enough to rescue one of these five survivors, each clearly on the endangered list?"  Here is a link to the article:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/11/03/the-5000-challenge-saved-from-extinction-edition/

In particular, the article describes mid-sized wagons as: "Before crossovers and SUVs, station wagons were once the family vehicle of choice for suburban Americans. Those with large families (or large budgets) shopped for full-size wagons, while those with more modest hauling requirements or incomes opted for midsize wagons."  When Ford described their early 1960s Fairlane station wagon, they used accolades like:  “Family size. Sports-car feel. Big-car ride. Fine-car quality.”  Those accolades certainly also apply to the the Buick mid-sized wagon, especially during the mid-sixties when Buick had no full-sized wagon.  Is my trusty wagon an endangered species?  There sure are times when it feels that way!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Hemmings blog: mid-sized station wagons an endangered species?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 05:00:04 PM »
   I sometimes think that the same people that write these articles should be working in the fashion industry. I think Norm Mcdonald put it best saying that" the news used to be 30 minutes,and it turns out that is all we needed". In other words,there is a lot of hype and useless opinion on a lot of things. We even call it news to talk about things that "might" or "could" happen. As far as the authors opinion....I would be interested in standing next to them and asking about a particular car or truck. Chances are good that they would not know a 65 Buick wagon from a 72 Pontiac sport wagon if they were both green. A lot of our cars bring back a particular time or memory which is individual to any one person. I was not even here in 1959,but I would still like to have a late 50's Cadillac....Why? I have no idea,but there is a proud owner of every classic car out there and that is not likely to change because someone tells me 59 Cadillacs aren't cool. I even found myself looking at a 69 AMC Rambler yesterday(probably not on the "in" list). I found myself avoiding an invitation to SEMA this year just because I am tired of all the hype and neverending sales pitches. I am quite satisfied doing a little at a time at my own pace and budget without the whole world necessarily doing it the same way. The conformity has got to stop and no one needs to tell anyone what kind of classic they should be looking at to buy or sell. I feel a little silly any time I sell anything that is of a classic status because you never get to drive that time machine again.

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 06:14:52 PM »
I agree with schlepcar. The other thing I want to add is that too often folks equate scarcity with value. Just because there is only a few of them left or even originally built, it must be worth something, right? Not always true. If it was true, then the 1960 Rambler Super 4 door that's been sitting in my parents side yard since the late 1980s must be really valuable!!!

However, I do think the market is shifting towards wagons. And, the fact that a whole lot of them went to the crusher back in the day is going to drive value. Probably never up to the muscle car level, but it certainly isn't going to be going down.

Keith
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 10:28:11 PM »
Well, Buick marketing thinks their new wagon will sell! The Regal Tour X is due out any time now.
Here's a video review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o94ZLx8NOo
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Wagon stigma runs deep. (Re: Mid-sized station wagons an endangered species?)
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 11:09:40 AM »
Dear Dan, Keith, Walt, and mid-60s Buick "long-roof" fans,

I sometimes think that the same people that write these articles should be working in the fashion industry. I think Norm Mcdonald put it best saying that" the news used to be 30 minutes,and it turns out that is all we needed". In other words,there is a lot of hype and useless opinion on a lot of things.

Point well taken, although in this case it is hype with a purpose.  Hemmings reputation depends on their ads selling cars.  This column is stirring up interest that ultimately will encourage other car owners to pay the extra price to advertise in Hemmings.  Moreover the hype seems to have paid off.  The AMC Eagle has already sold.

On the other hand, the author is speaking to a recognizable truth about the American psychology.  Station wagon are stigmatized with the dysfunctional families of the 1960s and 70s.  Paradoxically, the minivan suffers the same fate from a later period in society, but our society seems determined to blame the cars rather than recognize the problem has to be with families - not the transportation for same.

I remarked once to the manager of Orinda Motors: "If a convertible is the 'aphrodisiac' of the automobile world, then surely the station wagon is the 'birth control' of the automotive world!"   :laughing7:  That's the sort of stigma that is hard to overcome.

However, I do think the market is shifting towards wagons. And, the fact that a whole lot of them went to the crusher back in the day is going to drive value. Probably never up to the muscle car level, but it certainly isn't going to be going down.

I can see interest is coming back, but I don't get the feeling it is with a respect for what a station wagon is.  Instead, they are more likely to be the raw material for extensive customization.  There are a few sincere wagon lovers, but it is a rare breed.

Well, Buick marketing thinks their new wagon will sell! The Regal Tour X is due out any time now.

Yes, you are correct!  Paradoxically there is one huge exception to the wagon stigma.  Europe has never held the same negative views on wagons and now German luxury wagons are selling well to a niche market even in the United States.  That market is large enough to draw in the Japanese luxury makers.  Even so, it is rare around here to see a young family with a wagon.  At our local grade school wagons are rarely seen while SUVs are a dime a dozen.  The Regal Tour X might crack that market since it is very close to a Crossover SUV.  Even so, GM is simply importing this car from their former Opel division.  While there are "one off" wagons from time to time, Detroit doesn't see the market for a steady wagon production at the moment.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 04:09:54 PM »
Wagons are very ?hot?, there are many of them on the Power Tour. Plenty of room, classic lines and vintage looks are some reasons why. Room for coolers, clothes, and people. I think Hot Rod has a section of just wagon pictures from the Tour on their site.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 08:06:07 PM »
GM has been playing catch-up on a lot of formats,but the wagon is definitely one of them. Chrysler was building wagons on the magnum chassis a decade ago in the U.S. I am trying to think of the last real GM wagon that had a sport flair to it. In 1979,my dad bought his mother(grandma) a white 3.8 turbo v-6 sport wagon. It had a grand national type hood,factory tach,turbo rally wheels,and no chrome other than emblems and bumpers. There were free spirit bird decals in black on the upper front fenders. I do not believe I have ever seen another one...but it was very cool.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Wagons as canvas not classics (Re: Mid-sized wagons an endangered species?)
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »
Dear Jim, Dan, and mid-60s "long-roof" fans,

Wagons are very ?hot?, there are many of them on the Power Tour. Plenty of room, classic lines and vintage looks are some reasons why. Room for coolers, clothes, and people. I think Hot Rod has a section of just wagon pictures from the Tour on their site.

Is this the gallery you were thinking about?

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/gallery-wagons-people-haulers-hot-rod-power-tour-2017/

If so, then it definitely is a mixed-bag when it comes to station wagon preservation.  Of the 50 photos only a few show wagons that have been properly restored and many have been seriously modified.  Quite a a few of those wagons have been left with worn out paint jobs.  In terms of actually caring for wagons there isn't that much interest.  Instead, guys are finding them to be a cheap "canvas" upon which they can create something novel.  Many of those wagons were suffering from the "rat-rod" movement and won't last.

GM has been playing catch-up on a lot of formats,but the wagon is definitely one of them. Chrysler was building wagons on the magnum chassis a decade ago in the U.S. I am trying to think of the last real GM wagon that had a sport flair to it.

Unfortunately this too proves my point.  The Dodge Magnum has been discontinued since 2008:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Magnum

It was only produced for 2-3 years.  A quick web search only comes up with the Buick Regal wagon as bearing a Detroit nameplate:

https://www.caranddriver.com/best-station-wagons

Every other wagon is from foreign auto maker and even the Regal is imported.  So wagons continue to remain a second class citizen to SUVs.

Oh well, . . . . Edouard