Author Topic: Hemmings: Study recommends historic vehicle exemption from car bans  (Read 117 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Dear mid-60s Buick lovers with an eye to regulations,

Someone at Hemmings found a study done for the European Union that recommends that historic vehicles be exempt from the car bans that are springing up in large congested cities of Europe and elsewhere:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/10/19/study-recommends-european-countries-exempt-historic-vehicles-from-car-bans/

It makes points that are just good common-sense and should be sufficient to get politicians to go along.  Alas, as far as I know, cities that have banned cars haven't provided any exemptions for classics.  At the moment, common-sense doesn't seem to be all that common.

FYI . . . . . .

Oh well, Edouard

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Hemmings: Study recommends historic vehicle exemption from car bans
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 05:31:05 PM »
I don't know if there has been anything published as far as individual states and their legislation on classics. We do not have any problems in Michigan,but these are a big part of our local economies. There are currently three ways to plate your antique car in our state. One is just a normal everyday driver plate. One is an "authentic" plate that is the year of the car(a 1965 Michigan plate stays on your 1965 car as long as you own it). The other is a "historical" plate which is renewable on any vehicle over 25 years old. I am not aware of any municipalities limiting driving on classics in Michigan,but we are limited to shows,cruises,events,when registering as "authentic" or "historical". Your post would explain why I am getting "weird" questions about a car that I am selling. Apparently it is not easy to register these cars in certain areas. I still live out in "the sticks" so I am not aware of many states titling/registering procedures.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
So far only in Europe (Re: Historic vehicle exemption from car bans)
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 09:50:17 PM »
Dear Dan and mid-60s Buick lovers who hate government interference,

So far the problem has only been happening in Europe.  Paris has a lot pollution and traffic jams.  It also has a very leftist local government as it common for large cities.  At the moment any car registered before 1997 is banned from the city between Monday to Friday from 8am and 8pm:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/paris-bans-vehicles-registerd-before-2000-fight-city-air-pollution-france-emission-reducing-a7542921.html

It is clearly a misguided issue since any classics that might traveling during those hours aren't very likely to have a significant effect on pollution.  Such classic vehicles would be far too infrequent to have an effect.  However, the politics of passion frequently does harm to the innocent bystander because the passionate rarely have the clarity of vision that they claim to possess.

As Jimmy Durante would put it: "Such are da' conditions that prevail. . . . . "

Oh well, . . . . Edouard