Author Topic: Exterior door handle questions  (Read 573 times)

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Exterior door handle questions
« on: October 11, 2017, 08:26:48 PM »
   Hi everyone, Last week I removed the exterior door handles off of the doors of my ongoing 65 GS project. OPGI does not carry new handles for the 65 so I checked Year One, they want $500 for the pair !! Then I checked Fusick Buick they want $65.00 for the pair. anyone use the Fisick door handles ? if so is there anything wrong with them ? the money I save can go to other parts that will be needed. Thanks.

Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Re: Exterior door handle questions
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 09:11:38 PM »
Hey Tony,

I bought repop door handles from The Parts Place.  Haven't installed them yet, but they appear to be quality pieces.  Also bought the gasket set that fits very nicely.

Door handles $59.00: XP4866Z

Lock & gasket set $6.00: XP4617Z

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/

Chuck

Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
WOW! Definitely shop around! (Re: Exterior door handle questions)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 09:52:21 PM »
Dear Tony, Chuck, and mid-60s Buick payer of da' "glossy catalog tax."

Wow! I assumed OPGI prices were a bit inflated because they do put out a very nice looking catalog.  But almost 10 to 1!!   :BangHead:  I'm willing to cut OPGi a bit of slack, but that's enough slack rope to circle halfway around the Earth! . . .  :icon_scratch:

Oh well, Edouard

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 03:34:44 PM »
    Hi Edouard & Chuck.
   Thanks Chuck I checked out The Parts Place and yes I'm going to get the handles & gasket set from them.. I had never purchased anything from them before, so now I'm a new customer.
   Edouard I was complaining about Year One not OPGI, I just thought that $500 is just too much for something like that considering that the GS will not be used that much and will never be out in a NY winter. I can put that money towards the paint job...    Thank you all for helping.

Tony
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
I stand corrected!! (Re: Exterior door handle)
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 09:26:57 PM »
Dear Tony, Chuck, and mid-60s Buick parts hounds,

Edouard I was complaining about Year One not OPGI, I just thought that $500 is just too much for something like that
. . . .

Okay, I stand corrected!  I thought that OPGI did have the correct door handles for the 1965, but they only start with 1968:

https://www.opgi.com/skylark/1968/door-handles-hardware/door-window-handles/06408K/

Still, OPGI charges $70s for a kit with both door handles!  Okay, my faith in OPGI has been restored!  :angel4:

I've never been a fan of Year One either.  I think I had where I bought the NOS key blanks, but these can be found elsewhere.  They do have a few things that nobody else has, but you better be prepared to pay for what they have.  Even so, close to 10 to 1 over their competition - that does sound like highway robbery!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 08:19:53 PM »
   Hi Chuck & Edouard & all other Special/Skylark owners.
   The door handles came in the other day, they look great !! I just can't imagine how the $500 one could look any better. Thanks for the tip. They are all wrapped up and put away till I get it painted. Right now I'm working on the right door, trying to get it done before the weather changes. I'm still waiting for new door hinges from OPG, they have been backordered since the spring. They said October.. its holding up the restoration. I will give them a call this week and see the status of the hinges, I may have to look else ware if they can't get them in.. 
                                                                          Tony

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Sorry on the hinge delay. (Re: Exterior door handle questions)
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 09:47:30 PM »
Dear Tony and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

The door handles came in the other day, they look great !! I just can't imagine how the $500 one could look any better. Thanks for the tip.

That's great news!  :hello2:

I'm still waiting for new door hinges from OPG, they have been backordered since the spring. They said October.. its holding up the restoration. I will give them a call this week and see the status of the hinges, I may have to look else ware if they can't get them in.. 

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble getting hold of the door hinges.  On my trusty wagon, the driver's side hinge with the stops for the door had broken before I was 20.  That meant the door could come back and slam on your fingers.  I finally managed to get a replacement hinge from OPGI and had it installed in 2010.  It is one of those comfort things, but I always appreciate the driver's side door stopping as it is supposed to!  It is something to live with an old car and all the quirks, it is so much nicer when you can remove those quirks and feel safer about driving the car to boot!  :angel4:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14: