Author Topic: Package tray 65 gs  (Read 431 times)

Offline Arthur

• Buick Nut
  • 65 GS
Package tray 65 gs
« on: August 11, 2017, 11:58:28 AM »
I need to replace my rear mesh package tray. Who knows of a good  source with reasonable shipping? What is involved in changing the old one out?
65 Buick Skylark GS 4 speed, HT flame red w black top, original owner

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Package tray 65 gs
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 12:33:47 PM »
Legendary makes probably the best package tray. http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com

Will let someone else address the installation.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 04:57:42 PM »
Arthur,

No matter who you buy the package tray from, it will more than likely be an REM product. I bought it from Year One, but almost all resellers will have the same one. You will also need to order the package tray insulation that goes under the tray. To replace, you'll need to remove the back seat. There is a vinyl strip glued over foam that tucks behind the seat back and is glued to the steel behind it. That will need to be peeled off, which won't be difficult if it's old. Then there are 4 steel clips that hold the tray the package shelf, if you look in the trunk you'll see those. They will pull off, just go easy so they aren't pulled off the bottom of the package tray.

I started with the insulation. Since mine had a rear speaker, a hole needed to be trimmed out of the new insulation. I laid the old insulation over the new and used a marker to trace the location. I did the same with the locations needed for the clips, which were simply 4 "H" shaped cuts. The outside of the insulation needed some trimming as well if I recall.

Lay the new package tray over upside down. Note the location of the clips on the old tray and where they belong on the new one. Measure the locations and which ones go where - I recollect that there was one different than the other three. The clips were pressed into the cardboard, you should be able to remove them by pulling or prying them up carefully. I ground off the metal on the bottom of the clips where they pressed through on the original tray. I lightly glued the clips on the new tray in one spot and put in the car to test fit. If you're good, you can glue them down. I used a standard 2-part epoxy. If the insulation you trimmed is finished, you can glue that to bottom of the package tray. Some 3M Trim Adhesive is what you need there. There will be 2 plastic "ends" that came off the old tray, they can be popped on to the ends of the new one. Those finish off the trim next to the sail panels.

When all the glue is dry, you can reinstall into the package tray. Pop the clips down first. Then the steel at the top of the seat back area will need to be sprayed with 3M trim adhesive so the vinyl strip for the front of the tray can be glued down. I did a lot of masking there so prevent any disasters in case the adhesive didn't go where it was supposed to. Pull the vinyl strip over the front (helps to have another set of hands) and press it down. Reinstall back seat.

Easy! Reference pics attached.

Mark

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:10:15 PM by Mark Ascher »
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 05:07:04 PM »
A few more. A couple of the clips had some cardboard reinforcement pieces, but they were not re-used.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)