Author Topic: Rag Joint rebuild tips and cheap source  (Read 596 times)

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
Rag Joint rebuild tips and cheap source
« on: August 01, 2017, 10:16:43 AM »
Hi all,

I recently rebuilt my rag joint with a kit from my local NAPA, in the help section parts,, it was a 10 dollar fix, doesn't look the same as factory due to the post and pin being attached with a nut and lock washer vs factory was riveted on.

In my search I saw the same kit I purchased on OPGI for 36 bucks, ebay much more,  so figured I pass along the source.

Kit is a little time consuming,  but fairly straight forward.

1. Remove rag joint, make sure to make box, coupler, and column. You will need to loosen/remove the column to slide it back far enough to get the joint off the steering box.

2. Note which side has the pin and post, grind rivet side down so you can press out the old post/pin from the flange.

3. Install new pin/post I had to install with the nut only to get  the rubber compressed enough to get the shoulder bolts pressed into the rubber, then I removed the nut and installed the lock washers and nuts. I did each 1 at a time.

4. Reinstall the rag joint to the steering box, note previous orientation. Then reinstall the other shoulder bolts, I did it the same way as the post/pin installation.

Also I did reuse the ground wire and saftey clip just note placement mine was on the pin. Also I left out the wave washer show in the kit.

Little cheaper than a repro, but seems to work well.

Regards,
Jim

1965 Skylark post car (65 GS frame 401/4-speed, 2x4's)
1964 Skylark (future 430 stick)
1965 Special 4 door 300 4speed
1964 Special 2 door (future, GS 401 3 speed stick)