Author Topic: how thick should the windshield butyl be?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
how thick should the windshield butyl be?
« on: July 26, 2017, 12:32:46 AM »
I am installing an aftermarket windshield (with tinting on top) and need to know if I should use 5/16" or 3/8" butyl (sp?). I seem to remember a post that said to use 5/16" with OEM windshields and 3/8" with aftermarket, because they are thinner. I really don't want to replace the windshield a second time because the trim will not fit.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 01:09:19 AM by kcombs »
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon

Offline Jim

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: how thick should the windshield butyl be?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 07:07:21 PM »
Hi ,I'm replacing a windshield. Also what did you end up using ? .Jim
66 lesabre,68 Electra, 42special streetrod, multiple, chevs, 69 chevelle ss,67 skylark conv, 65 skylark ht,68 el Camino  and more , 65 skylarkgs

Offline gs spoken here

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: how thick should the windshield butyl be?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 12:17:11 PM »
That is what I thought, 5/16 factory and 3/8 for after market glass. I had 2 windshields replaced by my local glass man, one in a 68 and the other in a 70 GS, he said he used 3/8, not sure if it was 3m, and with the old clips all the trim fit. Loren and I tried to set the rear window in my 66 with 3/8 and the trim would not install. We have the correct clips, but new, and had to remove the butyl and start over. I bought a 1/4 and5/16 3M kits and have not tried to install it the second time. I was told the 3M does not compress much. Wonder if there is any tricks to get it compressed? Like setting in the sun, or heat the butyl or use a roller on the butyl before you remove the paper? I think I am over thinking this. Also 66/7 hardtop rear window trim can be problem to install and the new clips may add to the problem.