Author Topic: Getting Dusty home  (Read 374 times)

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
Getting Dusty home
« on: March 11, 2017, 10:53:10 AM »
Great news,  Dusty is home 100% improved on his electrical. The whole electrical system got redone.  LED lights front and back, the horn challenge was a kink on the steering column.  I'm super static about it.  Now I'm thinking I do not want to mess with the paint job.

kicking Dust.

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Getting Dusty home
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 11:22:58 AM »
Forget about the paint for now and go cruising!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 12:22:10 PM »
What Jim said.  Enjoy the car for a while. Paint can probably wait a bit.  Glad the car is making you proud.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 01:51:57 PM »
Nice electrical upgrades Barb.  I agree, go cruising and enjoy Dusty for awhile.  Paint and body work can wait.  Wish it was cruising season here....high 24 today. :angry1:

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline vinnie

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 04:58:21 PM »
Barb, car looks great. Take it out and drive it. Make it happy with some road miles.
Glenn V
1965 Skylark GS Hardtop  2017 BCA Senior Gold
2019 enclave
GSCA 2168
BCA 37942
AACA 915140

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 08:00:41 PM »
Dusty looks great, enjoy the driving.  Do some tweaking here and there, maybe a little rubbing compound and wax.  Hold off on the paint as long as you can. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:03:10 PM by Rollaround »
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 08:47:44 PM »
My intentions are to drive him on weekends. Is rainy here in Texas, but I'm ready for the long country drives. Is time to start stretching his miles. He has been dormant for 15 yrs. I'm taking him on a 2 hr trip next week, then slowly increasing the miles. Bowling Green is our destination soon.

kicking Dust.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Congrats - which LEDs? (Re: Getting Dusty home)
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 09:27:01 PM »
Dear Barb, Jim, Dan, Chuck, Glenn, Kevin, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Great news,  Dusty is home

Congratulations!   :icon_thumright: Glad to hear that Dusty is feeling so much better!    Sadly Biquette is back in the shop with some suspicious wear in the valve-train components.  I'm waiting nervously for a diagnosis.

100% improved on his electrical. The whole electrical system got redone.  LED lights front and back, the horn challenge was a kink on the steering column.  I'm super static about it. 

Do you know which LEDs were used?  I have some Phillips LEDs for the tail-lights and backup lights.  I've never had a chance to even see if they fit.  I've been waiting for somebody to come up with some quality amber LED parking light LEDs.  Supposedly Phillips had some LEDs in the pipeline, but I haven't seen them on the market yet.

Now I'm thinking I do not want to mess with the paint job.

Well, yes you don't want to jump into any paint work.  Biquette got in accident the day before Thanksgiving 2010 and she didn't get out of the body shop until July 2011!!    Body shops have to turn around insurance claims quickly so that classic car work is always delayed.  Definitely don't send Dusty to a body shop until you have carefully researched the outfit!

At the same time you might want to see if there is a local body shop that has a good reputation with classic cars.  Biquette was painted at a shop I liked very much but they went out of business.  Fortunately, a friend of mine with several classic cars has found another shop that he is happy with.  You would be better off to find a shop with that sort of recommendation.  When you finally decided to have some body work done be prepared to be . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 09:33:43 PM »
Sorry to hear about Biquette.  I hope they find the issue soon. Dusty was gone for 3 weeks and I was sad about it. I do not know what  LED lights the technician used but I will ask him Monday.

kicking Dust.

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 10:53:29 PM »
Glad to see Dusty is back on the road!  :hello2:  I'm with those who say get behind the wheel and put some miles on him.  :sunny: That way you'll enjoy all the  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: he'll surely attract.  :cheers2:
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.