Author Topic: Automobile service manuals - then and now.  (Read 120 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Automobile service manuals - then and now.
« on: February 20, 2017, 02:25:58 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick documentalists,

I wanted to setup the shipping box that my new assembly manual had come in to use as a storage box.  That is the way my Dad had set up the chassis service manual for my trusty wagon when he bought in back in 1968.  It turned out that box needed a little luv' as well.  Still it has weathered the 48+ years very well:

That manual has been moved to San Diego twice and Seattle once and still looks really good.  Even that box is in really nice shape.  I took a second picture of the postage back in December 1968.  You could move a good sized publication for 24 cents back in 1968!

For comparison, here is an equivalent photo of the new assembly manual:

Too bad the postage isn't printed on the label.  Even so it is quite a contrast the 1968 package that doesn't have any bar codes at all.

So if there was any doubt, our cars (and most of us) have lived through quite a few changes!  Also, if you were wondering how much my trusty wagon is in such amazing shape after almost 52 years, well we took care of her as least as well as her manual!

Enjoy!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Automobile service manuals - then and now.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 06:12:07 AM »
Way to go friend.  Loving and caring for our belongings keeps them in tip top shape.

kicking Dust.