Author Topic: After market passenger side mirror  (Read 627 times)

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
After market passenger side mirror
« on: February 17, 2017, 03:36:38 PM »
Before I start looking for an aftermarket  side door mirror  for the passenger side, are they even available ?  Is hot in Texas and I have been driving  Dusty most days. I just feel odd trying to change lanes with out using a side mirror .  Any Ideas.  I must put it out not sure if it matters, Dusty is such a big car and I'm only 5'1, I feel I need all the safety  features  possible.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Went with two OPGI reproductions (Re: After market passenger side mirror)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 09:45:36 PM »
Dear Barb and mid-60s Buick cautious drivers,

Before I start looking for an aftermarket  side door mirror  for the passenger side, are they even available ?  Is hot in Texas and I have been driving  Dusty most days. I just feel odd trying to change lanes with out using a side mirror .  Any Ideas.  I must put it out not sure if it matters, Dusty is such a big car and I'm only 5'1, I feel I need all the safety  features  possible.

My Dad was into boats and water skiing so my trust wagon ended up with a passenger side mirror around 1969 or so.  However, it wasn't exactly a matching Buick item.  When I had my wagon repainted in 2010, I sprung for a pair of Original Parts Group reproduction side view mirrors:

https://www.opgi.com/skylark/S230152/

The price has skyrocketed!   :BangHead:  I sure didn't pay that much.  However, you might find these mirrors discounted on eBay or something.  Here is a photo of how the mirror turned out on Biquette's passenger side:

These are small mirrors by modern standards and the OPGI models are only adjustable from the outside.  However, if you keep an eye on them they should remain where you set them.

Given the price increase, you might want to look into generic mirrors, but the Tri-Shield emblems are a nice touch.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: After market passenger side mirror
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 09:52:43 PM »
Thanks. The emblems  would be nice, but I'm more  about the safety .  Glad that they are available  out there. I start my search .

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 10:34:03 PM »
CARS offers the reproduction mirror too, 'only' $109.
http://www.oldbuickparts.com/cart/rearview-mirror-1964-67-buick-outside-p-2204.html

If you aren't familiar with CARS, they do offer many repo items that are not available elsewhere. Their shipping times and customer service, in the past, has at times been somewhat flaky. I prefer to do business with them in person, which I can do as I see them at area east coast shows.

Another tip for the '65-66 is to replace the windshield mounted rear view mirror with one from an Impala or similar full-size car. They are the same style but are wider.... gives you a better view out the rear window.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 08:47:28 AM »
I put a trishield one on the black 66 but it's very hard to see anything in it. Maybe it was installed in the wrong spot. Is there a diagram showing placement?
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 10:07:15 AM »
I put a Buick trishield passenger mirror on my hardtop for the same reasons that Barb69 stated. However, I was disappointed in the view. Unlike modern passenger side mirrors, the passenger side mirrors are not convexed. Therefore the field of view is very small and difficult to see much. I was wondering if a modern convexed mirror's glass can be cut in a circle to fit into the old style mirror.

John

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Convex add-ons available (Re: After market passenger side mirror)
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 11:02:03 AM »
Dear Barb, Walt, Jim, John, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

CARS offers the reproduction mirror too, 'only' $109.

Thanks for pointing that out Walt.  We should try to patronize CARS as much as practical.  They specialize in Buick parts where as outfits like OPGI have a wider customer base.

I put a Buick trishield passenger mirror on my hardtop for the same reasons that Barb69 stated. However, I was disappointed in the view. Unlike modern passenger side mirrors, the passenger side mirrors are not convexed. Therefore the field of view is very small and difficult to see much. I was wondering if a modern convexed mirror's glass can be cut in a circle to fit into the old style mirror.

There are aftermarket convex mirrors that can be attached to a flat mirror.  Is here just one example on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Fit-System-C0400-Passenger-Adjustable/dp/B001DKT0DO/ref=pd_lpo_263_bs_lp_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GAV36A0M2FX2WCM6QJ24

That should allow you to at least be aware of vehicles in your passenger side blind spot.  The caveat for such mirrors is that you cannot easily judge the distance because of the negative magnification effect of the convex mirror.  Still it is the same problem for modern cars, so if you are used to that effect you should be able to compensate in the same way for your classic Buick.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 12:13:53 PM »
That's what I did with mine even though I don't care for the look of the convex. With all the traffic you do need to be able to see.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 06:50:52 PM »
Thanks guys, I am starting my search now. Thanks for all the input it brought  a lot of good  questions  I had not asked myself. Keeping  Dusty and me safe is  the #1 priority 

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 08:01:48 PM »
I am going with Cars. Is $40.00 cheaper then OPGI and yearone .  The concave  mirror I think  I want  would have to  be as big as the original .

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Let us know what you find. (Re: After market passenger side mirror)
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 09:40:57 PM »
Dear Barb and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

The concave  mirror I think  I want  would have to  be as big as the original .

If you find a convex mirror the same size as the Buick reproduction, could you let us know where you bought it and how it turned out?  I haven't gotten around to adding a convex mirror, so I might "flatter you" by imitating your solution!  :laughing7:

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 10:09:03 PM »
I will.   :)

kicking Dust.