Author Topic: Selling 65 Special parts: rechromed bumpers, rallyes - is this the wrong place?  (Read 722 times)

Offline 65fireball6

• Buick Fan
Go easy on me guys, my first day on this site...I know this is a Skylark forum but I'm hoping some parts on my 65 Buick Special Deluxe are compatible w/ GSs and maybe salable here?  The car is a 4 door - complete and runs, no dents but needs new paint, very good undercarriage, interior very good, just a little surface rust on body (except a hole in the trunk floor area where rust was removed and metal patched and a little rust around rear window frame), engine only a fireball 6 but runs. Question is, although I have a complete car, it's not not so desirable being a 4 door Special and needs work, so would I be better off selling parts piece meal that fit a 65GS?  Then sell the leftover incompatible parts to "Special" owners?

Aside from the complete original car, I have 4 brand new 14in Buick-style Rallye wheels (off the car), 4 new Radial GTs white letter for those rims, both front and back bumpers professionally re-chromed (off the car). Seems like the bumpers are for the Skylarks as well...no?

Thanks for any advice,
BW - Cape Cod

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
BW,

Welcome the 65 GS forum.
Might be better to try a sale for the whole car. Relatively little from the Special 4 door will transfer over to a GS.
Most of the front sheetmetal will, except the rad. support and front bumper. Rear bumper is same as Skylark.
Almost of the interior is Special only.

With a v8 swap, that 4 door could be an excellent daily driver type car. jmos on this forum has one.
If you desire to sell, there are forums here to sell cars & parts.
Good luck!

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline Dr Frankenbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
Could be a wicked sleeper with the right drive train.

Offline 65fireball6

• Buick Fan
Thank you both - Mark & Doc!  That's very helpful advice.  :occasion14:

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Exactly what's wrong with a Special? (Re: Selling 65 Special parts)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 09:34:20 PM »
Dear BW, Mark, Good Dr., and mid-60s fans of Buick A-Bodies that are "Special,"

I'm hoping some parts on my 65 Buick Special Deluxe are compatible w/ GSs and maybe salable here?  The car is a 4 door - complete and runs, no dents but needs new paint, very good undercarriage, interior very good, just a little surface rust on body (except a hole in the trunk floor area where rust was removed and metal patched and a little rust around rear window frame), engine only a fireball 6 but runs. Question is, although I have a complete car, it's not not so desirable being a 4 door Special and needs work, so would I be better off selling parts piece meal that fit a 65GS?  Then sell the leftover incompatible parts to "Special" owners?

. . . . And just exactly what is wrong with a perfectly nice 1965 Buick Special? . . . . . .  The only thing I see wrong is that it isn't a wagon! . . .

Could be a wicked sleeper with the right drive train.

. . . Hmm, . . . it seems to me we've had this conversation before and . . . . . look what happened! . . . .  :laughing7:

Seriously BW consider trying to find a good home for your Special.  It might save you some work and every Buick that finds a home is another Buick saved!  :angel4:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline wildcat65

• Crazy about Buick!

I agree, a Special is...special
Ted Nagel         65 Skylark GS 4-speed + Wildcats + GS's

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Hey Ted,

Is that the same custom red GS wagon that was at the GSCA Nationals about 10 years ago. If it is, it was very well done. The interior had buckets and a automatic floor shift, just like a GS would have. Is it yours?

John Egel

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Very nice wagon Ted!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
But a Special wagon is . . . . . (Re: 65 Special parts)
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 09:44:56 PM »
Dear Ted, Jim, and owners of "special" mid-60s Buicks . . . . .  :laughing7:

I agree, a Special is...special

But there is just one type of Buick Special that is even more special . . . . a Special Wagon! . . . .   :hello2:

Offline wildcat65

• Crazy about Buick!
Hey Ted,

Is that the same custom red GS wagon that was at the GSCA Nationals about 10 years ago. If it is, it was very well done. The interior had buckets and a automatic floor shift, just like a GS would have. Is it yours?

John Egel

This one still has the low buck special bench, factory rubber mat!  Plus it is radio delete.  ex V-6.

Offline Polishmeatballpizza

• Crazy about Buick!
Hey Ted,

John Egel

This one still has the low buck special bench, factory rubber mat!  Plus it is radio delete.  ex V-6.

Wow - I could use that bench seat, mine is rusted out.
-George

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Never seen a straight Special steering wheel! (Re: 65 Special)
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 09:15:03 PM »
Dear Ted, George, and fans for "special" Buicks,

Wow!  So your's is a straight and not a Deluxe Special wagon!  According to the Team Buick website - your's is only 1 of 2,868 that were produced!

My wagon had a bit more company.  She was one of Deluxe Special wagons 9,123 produced in 1965.

I bought a horn button from a standard Special off of eBay thinking I might be able to use it somewhere.  However, I've never seen the standard steering wheel.  So thanks for posting the picture!!  :icon_thumright:

P.S. In case there was any doubts . . . there can never be too many pictures on a forum!  So if you have a neat photo that you could share - what are you waiting for?  :laughing7:

Offline wildcat65

• Crazy about Buick!
[yours?

Wow - I could use that bench seat, mine is rusted out.

HA!  The rubber mats rusted the bench seat brackets on this one.  Lucky I had psrts from another seat to fix it.  Time+moisture + rubber mats= rust