Author Topic: Two from Hagerty's: road rage and regulation.  (Read 117 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Two from Hagerty's: road rage and regulation.
« on: February 09, 2017, 01:55:03 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers,

There were two articles in this morning's Hagerty's email newsletter that I thought were worth passing on.  The first is about a road rage incident involving a classic car:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2017/02/02/unwanted-front-end-work

Quoting from the article:

From obscene gestures to aggressive driving and even violence, road rage has become all-too common these days. And classic and collector cars are hardly immune. The owner of a 1940 Ford Deluxe hot rod was cruising a country road when the driver of a 2012 Nissan Maxima began tailgating. After swerving from side to side to show his displeasure at the Ford’s moderate speed, the driver of the Maxima sped past and slammed on his brakes. Unable to stop in time, the Ford crashed into the rear of the Nissan.

Hagerty goes on to make the usual reasonable recommendations, but fails to point something out that I find surprising.  Apparently the driver of the Nissan failed to realize that the Ford was a classic car and that perhaps it was incapable of the speeds the Nissan could do.  This is one of my fears when driving my wagon.  It is clear that almost all the drivers around me have absolutely no idea my car is over 50 years old, and they certainly don't show her any particular respect.  It is just another one of those things we need to put up with when driving our classics in a world where the knowledge of what are classic cars is fading.

The other article is a thought provoking claim that the end of the golden age of sports cars started as early as 1967 - 50 years ago:

https://www.hagerty.com/Articles-Videos/Articles/2017/02/08/dying-sports-cars

At the article points out, safety and emissions rules forced a number of iconic sports cars out of production by the end of 1967 and the die was cast that would cause to the demise of the American Muscle car just a few years later.  The points it makes are well worth pondering.

For your information!
. . . . . . .  :read2:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14: