Author Topic: New steering wheel $1500???  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: New steering wheel $1500???
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 08:53:16 PM »

Please put me on the list for a Koch group purchase.  (Is anyone keeping a list? - should we start a new topic)) In my view, ideally we would wait until after the driving season and send them around November so that we get them back for the next warm weather.

Rob

Or we send a box or two of cores. lol

Loren

Loren - Realize this is probably not a good time but was wondering if this effort moved forward and perhaps I missed it. Several years ago I just about bought one of Frank's but thought I could wait until later....

Dwaine

Dwaine,

I hadn't visited this thread for a long time. I think it may be time to start a separate thread for a group buy.
As far as the timing, it should be fine.  I'm doing fine with the treatments.
 I will post a thread for this project and get back in contact with them again.

Loren

P.S. Hope you are feeling better. You still owe me a phone call.
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2018, 10:48:27 AM »
interesting thread. I still use my cracked wheel because I like the look of the original wheel.
And as Edouard mentioned the horn bar is a separate issue. But, those come up on ebay every now and then, and I think they could be restored fairly well with some elbow grease and touch-up paint.

Years ago eastwood advertised a kit in which they supplied some epoxy to fill in the cracks and then something for color. I don't know of anyone who tried this, though. It was about $100.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Group purchase in the wings (Re: New steering wheel $1500???)
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2018, 11:02:55 AM »
Dear Iain and mid-60s Buick fans of originality,

interesting thread. I still use my cracked wheel because I like the look of the original wheel.

I agree that the original steering wheel was very elegant.  Certainly if there had been a way to get a replacement wheel back when I redid my dash I would have gone that route.  Now that a group purchase is underway, you might consider that:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=3876.msg27371#msg27371

And as Edouard mentioned the horn bar is a separate issue. But, those come up on ebay every now and then, and I think they could be restored fairly well with some elbow grease and touch-up paint.

It all depends on how nice you want the result to turn out to be.  Alas already by 1965, GM appears to have been skimping on the interior chrome.  Most of the interior chrome in my trusty wagon was seriously pitted while the exterior chrome still looks very good.  Considering that my wagon was well cared for to the point that the dash pad is still original, that doesn't bode well for the horn bars of the period.  If you really want a factory fresh horn bar, it will take a more substantial restoration.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2018, 07:35:14 PM »
That's intetesting, Edouard. Now that I think of it, yes, gm did skimp on interior chrome. I don't have much, and the ashtrays come to mind as being badly pitted.

Yet, the chrome on the horn bar is plastic. So some careful cleaning and polishing can make those look really nice. Flat black touch up makes the BUICK stand out.

I would think it would be odd if the round horn piece has chromed metal, does it?

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
No plastic chrome on 1965 cars (Re: New steering wheel $1500???)
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2018, 09:13:11 PM »
Dear Iain and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Yet, the chrome on the horn bar is plastic. So some careful cleaning and polishing can make those look really nice.

Huh?  :icon_scratch:  The horn bar is pot metal - not plastic.  The technology to coat chrome on plastic didn't come until around 2000.  It isn't hard to remove the horn bar - there are 4 Phillips screws behind the bar that secure it.  I don't remember why I had to remove the bar, but it is a very substantial piece of metal.  So restoring the shine on that is the same problem as for any other part made of that sort of metal.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: No plastic chrome on 1965 cars (Re: New steering wheel $1500???)
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2018, 11:42:30 PM »
...... The technology to coat chrome on plastic didn't come until around 2000. ....

No it goes back much further.... our 65-66's do have some chrome plated plastic. Best example is the dash knobs for lights., wipers, etc ('66 anyway... I haven't been inside my 65 in waaay too long.) They get heavy use so it's a fairly thick plating. If you see one failing, you'll notice other metals beneath the chrome such as copper.

On the other hand, while armrest bases appear to be chromed, they are actually vaporized aluminum. They supposedly don't handled as much so a thinner shiny aluminum coating with a protective over coat suffices for a few years. Same process is used on the 'chrome' on model car kits and the back side of mirrors.

But I digress!.....  I actually have experience with vapor-deposited coatings during my engineering career in the optical coating business. I've done highly reflective metal coatings like aluminum and gold, 75 layer dielectric coatings (about 3 days worth) with 99.99% reflection at a single wavelength, and even more anti-reflection coatings to reduce the normal 8% reflection on an instrument lens down to under 0.25% reflection. It's a neat technology that uses components like cryogenic pumps operating at 15 degrees Kelvin, electron beams to vaporize Titanium, and Ion guns to clean and improve the density of coatings. I even got to meet one of the great Russian engineers that was instrumental in developing the ion guns for the space program.
End digress!.....

Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Mea Culpa! Exterior plastic? (Re: New steering wheel $1500???)
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2018, 11:09:10 AM »
Dear Walt and mid-60s Buick owners with interesting information to share!

No it goes back much further.... our 65-66's do have some chrome plated plastic.

Mea Culpa!  About the time I went to bed I recalled that chrome deposits on plastic did exist for interior parts by the 1960s.  The process I was referring to was the one they now use to create chrome plated plastic for exterior parts.  I suppose there was a problem with these coatings withstanding the elements.  I saw a "How do they do it?" documentary where they explained the process now used for exterior chrome-plated panels.

Do you know what was problem with chrome-plated plastic and how they solved it?

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Buick_65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2018, 10:24:33 AM »

Please put me on the list for a Koch group purchase.  (Is anyone keeping a list? - should we start a new topic)) In my view, ideally we would wait until after the driving season and send them around November so that we get them back for the next warm weather.

Rob

Or we send a box or two of cores. lol

Loren

Loren - Realize this is probably not a good time but was wondering if this effort moved forward and perhaps I missed it. Several years ago I just about bought one of Frank's but thought I could wait until later....

Dwaine

Dwaine,

I hadn't visited this thread for a long time. I think it may be time to start a separate thread for a group buy.
As far as the timing, it should be fine.  I'm doing fine with the treatments.
 I will post a thread for this project and get back in contact with them again.

Loren

P.S. Hope you are feeling better. You still owe me a phone call.

I would definitely participate in a group buy if it materializes. I have a decent core in my possession.  Glad to hear you are doing well Loren.

Best regards,

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2018, 12:55:13 PM »
 Ok, Todd.

I am going to add you to the list.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior