Author Topic: Reprint 65 Skylark Assembly Manual---Worth Getting?  (Read 1648 times)

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Reprint 65 Skylark Assembly Manual---Worth Getting?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 08:01:31 PM »
Received my Faxon 65 buick assembly manual today .  Lots and Lots of good info in there .
Only thing I need is a stronger pair of readers , some of the print is pretty small .    I like it though so far .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Ditto and Ditto! (Re: 65 Skylark Assembly Manual)
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 09:36:27 PM »
Dear John and mid-60s Buick types who go through the fine print.

Received my Faxon 65 buick assembly manual today .  Lots and Lots of good info in there .

Ditto!!  :icon_thumright:  I need to put more time into it but thus far I've been very happy with what I've seen!

Only thing I need is a stronger pair of readers , some of the print is pretty small .    I like it though so far .

*Sniff*, ditto on that point as well! . .  Some of the drawings are finally detailed and alas the watermarking is too heavy-handed at spots.  It might be a real struggle to pick up a dimension from time to time.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 04:35:22 AM »
Good recommendations.  Ordered mine today.

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 03:43:54 PM »
I'm on it. Seems that is good  information to have handy

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 03:11:06 PM »
Got my copy just on time. Dusty's  tail light keeps burning  out, maybe I can follow the wiring for it.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Dear Barb and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Got my copy just on time. Dusty's  tail light keeps burning  out, maybe I can follow the wiring for it.

Do you also have the chassis service manual?  The assembly manual wasn't designed for repairs but for assembling in the factory.  So it is a great supplement, but it doesn't have as helpful information for making repairs.

The chassis service manual isn't that difficult to find if you don't already have one.  Faxon has some original copies for example:

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1965-Buick-Special-Skylark-Repair-Shop-Manual-Original-P15412.aspx

They also reprint it, but then you would have to deal with their watermark I suppose:

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1965-Buick-Special-and-Skylark-Repair-Shop-Manual-Reprint-P26133.aspx

Since it is much less expensive, perhaps that is worth it.  Also, they are relatively common on eBay.   Here is a search string that should bring up for you a long list of manuals for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=1965+Buick+43000+44000+Models+Original+Factory+Chassis+Service+Manual&_itemId=401161678879&_trksid=p2047675.m4099

I must confess though that I've never bought this manual myself.  My Dad did it for me back in 1968!!  :love4:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=3318.0

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 05:57:43 AM »
Yes , I do have the chassis manual and a supplement  .  I looking at both see if I am able to get more information and what to follow.  Dusty just loves to keep me busy.

kicking Dust.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Body manual also exists (Re: Reprint 65 Skylark Assembly Manual)
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 11:16:19 AM »
Dear Barb and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Yes , I do have the chassis manual and a supplement  .  I looking at both see if I am able to get more information and what to follow.

Good for you!  I wasn't sure from your posts so I gave you the pointer just in case.  There is also a manual for body work for 1965 Buicks:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2054436.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1965+Buick+body+service+manual.TRS0&_nkw=1965+Buick+body+service+manual&_sacat=0

However, it is only useful if you need to have body work done.  Alas in the case of my trusty wagon, she was in a significant accident back in 2010 and did need body repairs.  Hopefully you'll never have the same predicament with Dusty.

Dusty just loves to keep me busy.

Yes indeed, cars of this age never seem to get enough 'luv . . . . .  :love4:

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 11:21:12 AM »
I found a minor rust spot on his rear wheel well. Is only about 3 inches width. I do not know anybody who does body work.  I do not just want to take him to Joe down the street.  I put anti-rust paint for now.

kicking Dust.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Not sure how to deal with spot rust either (Re: 65 Skylark Assembly Manual)
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 09:59:16 PM »
Dear Barb and mid-60s Buick warriors against rust,

I found a minor rust spot on his rear wheel well. Is only about 3 inches width. I do not know anybody who does body work.  I do not just want to take him to Joe down the street.  I put anti-rust paint for now.

Golly I'm not sure what to do in a situation like that either.  You might start a new thread with a different subject so that guys understand what your problem is exactly.  I do have a POR-15 starter kit which is supposed to allow you to paint over rust.

http://www.por15.com/

Someone just painted his chassis with the stuff and was very pleased.  Sorry, I can't find the thread at the moment.  There are other products like POR-15.  Rustoleum has a line of similar products.  I just haven't had a situation of rust exactly like what you are looking at with Dusty.  Please do start up another thread.  I think you'll get more helpful answers.

Best of luck with Dusty!

Edouard

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 10:24:39 PM »
We used that last weekend. Ok I start a tread to see what other solutions are out there.

kicking Dust.

Offline Dr Frankenbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2017, 08:33:31 AM »
Barb,  I'm afraid Dusty is truly rusty.  That is a common rust area for the 65.  The only lasting cure for rust through is removal.  The affected area needs to be removed and a new part needs to be fabricated to fit the area.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
A Classic friendly body shop? (Was: 65 Skylark Assembly Manual)
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2017, 09:42:58 PM »
Dear Good Dr., Barb, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Barb,  I'm afraid Dusty is truly rusty.  That is a common rust area for the 65.  The only lasting cure for rust through is removal.  The affected area needs to be removed and a new part needs to be fabricated to fit the area.

Thanks Dr. for your diagnosis.  Unfortunately, I don't know things like the common rust spots for these cars.  My trusty wagon has been more lucky!

Barb, you might start trying to locate a classic car friendly body shop that might be able to make this sort of repair for you.  Perhaps you can find a local classic car club that can make some recommendations.

Best of luck on keeping Dusty healthy!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline Polishmeatballpizza

• Crazy about Buick!
-George

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 11:44:16 AM »
I think you'll find it worth the money George!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100