Author Topic: A/C compressor  (Read 1261 times)

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
A/C compressor
« on: October 24, 2016, 12:16:21 AM »
What kind of compressors are you guys with a/c running on your cars? Stock or Sanborn type? I'm not concerned with the a/c being all stock under the hood! All so are you running R 12 or 134a? I want good cold functioning a/c

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
No easy way to run Sanden (Re: A/C compressor)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 09:49:29 PM »
Dear Jon and mid-60s Buick cool cats . . . .  :glasses9:

What kind of compressors are you guys with a/c running on your cars? Stock or Sanborn type? I'm not concerned with the a/c being all stock under the hood! All so are you running R 12 or 134a? I want good cold functioning a/c

My trusty wagon has a Vintage Air system with a Sanden compressor, but I suspect she is the only one on this board.  You need a custom bracket to use the Sanden compressors.  Since she has a 1968 Buick big-block that wasn't so hard, but I don't know of a bracket for the nailhead.  I have been suggesting that people look into the Pro6TEN compressor:

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/compressors-parts/21-2201sh-pol/compressor-p-8395.html

It appears to be a modern compressor that fits into the old GM brackets.  There is at least a hint on the Team Chevelle forum that you can even power an aftermarket A/C system using this compressor.  That would suggest you can run R 134a in it without problems.

Unfortunately I don't know.  All I can say is that a Vintage Air 1964-67 GTO surefit kit can be backfitted into a 1965 Buick with minimal pain so long as you solve the compressor bracket problem. 

Hope that's a little help, Edouard

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: A/C compressor
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 10:16:09 PM »

Jon,

I'm running the original compressor.  If I recall correctly, Rodger Sears is running a Sanborn on the nailhead in his modified GS.

Unfortunately he isn't on the board.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 12:41:05 AM »
Thanks, guys! Will have to give my buddy Roger a call!
. I can build a bracket or have it done can't remember if I have a original rear bracket or not? Parts everywhere! Lol

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 06:06:42 AM »
I need to get the air back into my car and am pondering the same things. Rogers installation in his car sure turned out great.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 06:19:12 AM »
Mine isn't functioning yet, but I've retrofitted factory air into a non-A/C car using the factory compressor and all the original hoses and hardware.  Requires some modification of the firewall and the passenger kick panel area.  Not sure which approach is easier from an installation standpoint.

Since I have access to it, I'll be using R12.

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline rwg65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 09:43:46 AM »
I'm running a sanden compressor mounted on original nailhead bracket. Had to make a couple of brackets but it looks good and works fine.

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 10:42:41 AM »
My car doesn't have A/C but if it did I would use an original compressor . Those old 6 cyl. compressors worked really  good on the cars I had .
I had a 73 Rivera and if you run the right pressures using r12 you could actually get a little bit of frost on the windshield .
They were so reliable they used them on a lot of commercial equipment .
Just my 2 cents worth .
I still like the windows down  personally .
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 12:32:17 PM by 35chevcoupe »
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Sanden on a nailhead bracket? COOL! (Re: A/C compressor)
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 03:54:26 PM »
Dear Loren, rwg65, Jim, John, and mid-60s Buick cool cats  :glasses9:

I'm running a sanden compressor mounted on original nailhead bracket. Had to make a couple of brackets but it looks good and works fine.

That's cool!  I thought it would be much more of a hassle than your installation turned out.  Still I'm a bit puzzled  Why did you go with a Sanden when the Pro6TEN just bolts in?  I make another attempt to verify that you could use a Pro6TEN compressor with a Vintage Air or other aftermarket system and nobody comes out and says it will work.  However I found an interesting claim on this Team Chevelle thread:

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/32-heating-cooling/290649-rebuild-oem-c-go-vintage-air-65-elky.html#post2540481

To quote:

If you are intent on replacing the A6 with something more "modern", there is a direct fit unit called a Pro6Ten. It's a Sanden compressor with A6 mounts and line connections.

I suppose someone who really understand auto air conditioning would need to compare the specs of the two compressors to see if the Pro6TEN has the prep to drive a system like Vintage Air.

The other question that Jon asked at the start of this thread was which refrigerant you guys are using in your factory system?  R 12 or 134a? Do tell!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 04:34:10 PM »
Mine were all converted to 134.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline rwg65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 08:27:35 PM »
Mine is 134. I have used sanden on 4 previous builds and they are very reliable. No big deal making brackets
Bob

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
How about for the 300? (Re: A/C compressor)
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 10:04:13 PM »
Dear Jim, Bob, and mid-60s Buick cool cats,  :glasses9:

Mine is 134. I have used sanden on 4 previous builds and they are very reliable. No big deal making brackets

Do you think it would be just as easy for a 300 engine?  I know of two people pondering Vintage Air conversions on 64-67 Buicks and they would need some way to get around the Sanden conversion for the A/C compressor brackets,

So it would appear that there are some curious minds that would like to know!  :laughing7:

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Re: How about for the 300? (Re: A/C compressor)
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 11:00:30 PM »
Dear Jim, Bob, and mid-60s Buick cool cats,  :glasses9:

Do you think it would be just as easy for a 300 engine?  I know of two people pondering Vintage Air conversions on 64-67 Buicks and they would need some way to get around the Sanden conversion for the A/C compressor brackets,

So it would appear that there are some curious minds that would like to know!  :laughing7:

Edouard,

If you or friends are installing A/C on a 300 V8, I have the factory compressor, brackets and main lines available from my parts car if needed.  Just let me know if any of that is needed.

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 11:27:17 AM »

I’m not an AC expert by any stretch, there are GS65 members that I’m sure know much more than I do. However, I have restored a couple AC systems and learned some lessons doing so. My thoughts.

I’ve replaced GM A6 compressors with Sanden compressors in two cars, serviced them with 134, adjusted the POA valves and they cool just fine.

Selection of refrigerant plays only a small part in the overall efficiency of our AC systems. The condition and internal/external cleanliness of the condenser and evaporator as well as a properly functioning expansion and POA valves play a much greater role. It is also important that the ducting, blend doors and water shut off are all functioning well. Servicing is critical, not enough or to much refrigerant will greatly degrade performance.  When converting to R134 you normal service to 80% of the R12 service volume.   

I prefer R134 over R12. It cost less, is available everywhere and is more environmentally friendly.   

Our original GM A6 compressors have been workhorses for years and will work well if maintained and serviced.  They are however heavy, the compressor, brackets and mounting hardware add weight to an already nose heavy car and further degrade handling. They are also notorious for leaking; so much so that GM even designed a shield to prevent oil from being slung against the underside of the hood. There is however an upgraded seal kit available to reduce leakage at the clutch shaft.   

As Edouard mentioned there is a reproduction A6 compressor sometime called the S6 that is advertised as a direct fit with existing mounting brackets. Made from aluminum it would help reduce some weight. That’s all I know about them, here’s a link.   http://www.s6compressor.com/products.html

The Sanden compressor uses less horsepower than the A6. About 6HP at idle compered to 16 hp for the A6. If your struggling with idle issues on a cammed up engine this can make a big difference at idle. These nailhead engines make lots of horsepower and torque at higher RPMs but not so much at idle. I’m guessing here, but probably 80 hp or less, there's already a fair amount of parasitic drag at low rpm. Transmission parts, power steering, alternator and vacuum demand, turning on the AC can make a big difference.

One more thing and I’ll shut up. The Sanden and no doubt the retro A6/S6 will handle higher RPMs than the original A6. Perhaps not a big deal with nailheads as they generate their monster horsepower and torque at lower RPMs.

Sorry for running on so long. Hope it helps.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
THANKS! (Re: A/C compressor)
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 01:59:56 PM »
Dear Kevin and mid-60s Buick "share the knowledge" types, . . .

Sorry for running on so long. Hope it helps.

All I can say is THANK YOU!!  :icon_thumright:  I'm not expert on auto air conditioning, but I get asked a lot of questions because my wagon is one of the few cars with a Vintage Air conversion.  So I appreciate when someone else can offer insights like this!

Sorry if this hijacks the thread a bit, but what is your thoughts on the likelihood that you could use the Pro6TEN compressor to power an aftermarket air conditioner kit like Vintage Air.  The more I think about this, the less likely I suspect that this can work.  I've done several searches of the web and have come up completely empty.  If it could work, somebody would have done it by now.