Author Topic: How about building your own exhaust header manifold?  (Read 254 times)

Offline Polishmeatballpizza

• Crazy about Buick!
How about building your own exhaust header manifold?
« on: September 13, 2016, 02:50:25 PM »
I have heard so many problems with exhaust headers, getting in the way of oil filters and starters. Is this mostly on the 400 motor, or does it apply to the 300 also?

I was thinking something in the way of this, keeping it really tucked in, close to the engine.

-George

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
300 isn't so tight (Re: How about building your own exhaust header manifold?)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 09:33:52 PM »
Dear George and mid-60s Buick tinkerers,

I have heard so many problems with exhaust headers, getting in the way of oil filters and starters. Is this mostly on the 400 motor, or does it apply to the 300 also?

The problems aren't with exhaust manifolds but exhaust headers on the 401 nailhead.  Buick never provided headers for that engine - I think!  So these are aftermarket parts and obviously since Buick didn't plan on headers, they made no engineering changes to accommodate them.

The Buick 300 is a much smaller engine that has plenty of from in the engine bay comparatively.  Unless you want the benefit of headers, I think you'll do just fine with the stock exhaust manifolds.  I don't know if there ever existed headers for the 300 engine.  If so there might be some access issues with those.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: How about building your own exhaust header manifold?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 10:51:08 PM »
Adding headers won't give big performance gains, so it's hardly worth the expense or trouble for a street car.

Poston made headers for the 300/349, but they are out of business.
Sanderson makes short tube headers, but they're $575:
https://www.sandersonheaders.com/headers_by_engine/buick/buick_small_block

Land Rovers used tubular manifolds that can be modified to fit. Right side fits, but left side needs modification. They are also small diameter tubes since they are made for a smaller engine.
There was a post here that linked to the discussion on V8Buick.
See Brian's (LowFlyLark) post on this page:
http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?191151-A-guide-to-building-the-lil-guy-The-Mighty-300/page4
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal